Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnar Blue Spruce 'Fastigiata'

Posted by hibiscusfreak z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 12:38

Does anyone have an older Columnar Blue Spruce 'Fastigiata'? And if so, how wide is yours? I was told these get 2-4 ft. wide, but for some reason have trouble believing that. I have one along a fence near the corner of the house, about 3 feet out from the foundation. Supposedly these are slow growers and grow upright and narrow. And if this gets up to 6 feet wide that would not be a problem. However, if it will get much wider than that, I might want to move it now before it gets too big. At this point it's only about 4 ft tall. I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience with these!

If anyone has pics of theirs I would enjoy seeing them! I have seen pics posted on the internet but they never tell you how wide they are in the photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnar Blue Spruce 'Fastigiata'

Picea pungens 'Iseli Fastigate' aka 'blue totem' .. maybe 3 feet wide ... all branches point up ... but notice how it gets an inch or two wider every year ... ken

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

He

I would like to make a small correction on the naming of the conifer. Iseli Fastigiate and Wells "Blue Totem" are not the same tree. The Blue Totem remains more upright growing while the Iseli Fastigiate will tend to have its branches lay a bit more open. Other than that change, I do agree with your assesment on the growth habit. It is very columnar, maybe 10' tall and 3' wide. We have several large plants hedged out in our growing area here at Wells Nursery. Ken, I don't know if you purchased this plant with both names listed, if so, the nursery tagged it incorrectly. Thanks! Maree

o

i bought it as iseli fastigate ...

someone here told me the other name ....

which is the tree in the picture????

ken

o

These are Wells 'Blue Totums'

Dave

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Spell check: Totems

Dave

o

Thanks for the info Maree!

I would be willing to bet Ken's are the Wells Blue Totems, as it resembles those in Dave's photo. I must have the Iseli, because mine is more loose/open, as Maree describes. Not all the branches on mine are pointed straight upwards, particularly those near the bottom... they look like they droop outward a little bit. I will post a pic if I can get a good one tomorrow. Wish I knew more about these two types before I purchased, as I would have preferred the Blue Totem for their "neater" appearance. Mine was purchased at our local Lowe's... I will have to find the tag and see if it lists a nursery or anything.

o

I'm guessing that 'Iseli Fastigiate' and 'Fastigiata' are the similar clones with this 'Blue Totems' being the oddball of the three. Dave's tree has noticabily longer needles in my opinion which appear to be spaced further apart... and are a steely-blue.

This book I have, 'List of Conifer Names' (Erhardt 2006) lists only 'Fastigiata' and 'Iseli Fastigiate'.
It states:
'Fastigiata' - Hort. CDN 1987 (CDN = Canada) (Hort = from horticultural cultivation, without circumscribing author/breeder)
'Iseli Fastigiate' Iseli Nurs 1963

The website furthermore for Well's Nursery lists Dave's Plant as:
1975 Picea pungens fastigiata Wells 'Blue Totem' Spruce Colorado Blue Totem

So Well's has their own introduction.

Then, Jacobson 'North American Landscape Trees' lists:
'Fastigiata' as Canadian Intro and further states that it appeared in '1993-93 Buchholz & Buchholz Nursery, Gaston, OR'.
'Iseli Fastigiate' 1963 by Jean Iseli and in production later.

So it seems we have three different columnar blue spruces.

Dax

o

Bickelhaupt Arboretum - Clinton, IA - 'Blue Totem' P.pun. - no "s" in "Totem". Or, I mis-labled. Bickelhaupt has a plant list, and they no-longer list this cultivar as being in their collection.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dax

o

Ken

Your plant does indeed look like a 'Blue Totem'. Very tight growth. It will be interesting to see what it does as it matures.

Maree

o

Maree, I now see you're from Wells Nursery.

It would seem that four plants are now in circulation.

I actually have a friend with a 'Fastigiata' that's maybe four or six feet tall. It looks exactly like the tight-congested growth of 'Iseli Fastigiate' and 'Blue Totem'.

Well's Nursery's 'Blue Totems' being the exception.

Thanks for chiming in Maree.

Dax

o

Ok, here are some pics I took today of mine...

As you can see, it is not as tight as the others. I dug the card out and looked at it, but it doesn't list any nursery -- it's just a regular Lowe's tag. The name is listed as Picea Pungens 'Fastigiata'.

o

put my thoughts on cancel!

Later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here