Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Taking care of business.

dcsteg
12 years ago

This is something I used to take care of myself. As you can see it became a little overwhelming

I needed a new plan as my sprayer would not reach the tops of some of my conifers. Also, the high price of packaged insecticides was becoming price prohibitive.

A little research to find the right person put an end to my anxiety of dealing with pest and disease control. This guy is good with years of experience in his field.

For two years never any sign of bagworms, spider mites, scale or any other potential insect related issues.

Dave

{{gwi:770975}}

{{gwi:770976}}

{{gwi:770977}}

{{gwi:770978}}

{{gwi:770980}}

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what did they use???

does it rid you of mosquitoes also???

ken

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Bagworms suck. They can literally make bald cypress go bald over night! Past two years, it has been terrible all of sudden in Dallas area.

I used cheap end hose pesticide sprayer that did the trick but there will be a time when I'm forced to find someone that can spray very high to the top of the trees.

Last year, a neighbor has 2 bald cypress trees that were being chewed up badly by bagworms. I told him to try end hose sprayer that cost only 10 dollars. This year, I don't see a single bagworm and the trees are looking much better and very full.

Bifenthrin is the ingredient...

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken,

"what did they use???"

Bisect L. Rate: 30oz./100 gal.

Bisect L is a bifenthrin based product (compare to Talstar) that is a relatively low-odor and safe when used as directed.

Bisect L will provide effective contact and residual control of insects on trees, lawns and ornamental settings.

* Bisect L does not cause phytotoxicity when applied as directed.

* Provides excellent control of major insects at a affordable price with relatively low odor

Insects Controlled: bagworms, leaf beetles, webworms, moth larvae, lace bugs, caterpillars, adelgids, aphids, scales (crawlers), leafhoppers, leaf rollers, mealybugs, psyllids, plant bugs, spider mites, thrips, spittlebugs, tip moths, treehoppers, weevils, whiteflies, pine shoot beetle.

Dave

• ricksample
    12 years ago

I'm just curious to who else sprays with insecticides. I'm wondering if I should start spraying my small new conifers this year or would I need to at all right now... I never really thought about it until this post.

I've been planting here for the last 3 years and haven't had any problems with any of my perennials/bushes/trees/etc although this is my first year with conifers.

What did you use before doing it with this company?

• poopsko
    12 years ago

WOW Dave !! You got me thinking now too

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Personally I'd only spray if you have problems...just be proactive about it. You'll likely kill predatory insects as well, disrupting balance in the landscape.

I think a garden like Dave's is the exception based on the size and uniqueness of the collection.

• aklinda
    12 years ago

Insects aside, I am in awe of your beautiful garden.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

whass.

I only spray because I do have problems. Where I live about this time of year bagworms are a serious problem not to mention spider mites.

When your garden develops into the size of mine you will be spraying. It took me 12 years to get to that point.

Dave

Dave

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I sure will, especially when I get up to par with yours!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

dave has ID'd a problem and is reacting in a proper manner .. according to labeled instructions and applied by a professional ...

IMHO ... preventative spraying with no need ... is pollution ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Agreed, accept your IMHO should be the accepted norm.

• donn_
    12 years ago

I hope to have no insect problems as I get into conifers. I live directly on a tidal canal which leads directly to a large bay, which leads directly to the Atlantic. Many insecticides, including both named in this thread, are extremely toxic to aquatic vertebrates, and I would not, in good conscience, be able to use them.

Are there more benign cures for insect infestation of conifers?

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

donn,

Yep, toxic to aquatic vertebrates, only if it gets into your tidal canal. It won't if you apply according to directions which state, do not apply within 75 feet of aquatic areas. Applicators should take strong precautions
    to limit its use to only the affected area, not apply it to impervious surfaces, like concrete, where it is easily washed into storm drains.

Most if not all conifers are susceptible to some kind of insect infestation. In the perfect world insect free plants would be great but that's not going to happen. As for me I did it right because I did some back ground work. For you a totally different set of circumstances in your case with the aquatic thing. You will have to do your home work also.

Your best bet is to check with your county extension agent for the proper pesticides to use for your given area. Not being from your area I can't advise what benign cures are available to you. Water will blast most spider mite infested plants free of that infestation. By the time you see them most of the damage is done. Water works well for aphid infected plants. I am sure there are other home remedy fixes out there if you want to stay green. Do a Google.

Dave