Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identify conifer

Posted by qwade 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 12:51

Can someone please identify this conifer. Bought it tagless at a flea market. No cones to help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identify conifer

And another view

o

It's a blue atlas cedar - Cedrus libani ssp. atlantica, var. glauca, and it's planted way too close to the house. In time, this will be an enormous tree.

o

MG
Thanks for the fast reply. The new growth looked like it only pushed 4-6 inches. I was thinking it was a dwarf variety and a slow grower. The proximity to the house was a concern and is why I posted.Should have checked before I planted.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:00

If it is 'Horstmann' it will not become enormous but will still produce a tree.

o

man i wish i have conifer flea markets ..

see link as to potential .. as to maples suggestion..

copy/paste this link as to bboys suggestion:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cedrus+atlantica+%27Horstmann%27&client=firefox-a&hs=qIu&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=jzXIU-OqE4yKyATA4IJw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=918&bih=745&dpr=0.9

your shorter annual growth MIGHT indicate bboys suggestion .. but i would give it three years to get settled in.. before you will know its true annual growth rate.. to understand if its the monster.. or the dwarf ... wait.. you didnt tell us how long its been in situ ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: yikes ... lol

o

Ken
I just picked this up 2 weeks ago. Yes I have seen the monster it could be. Yes this lady sells trees at the same spot every Sunday. I have bought maples Acer Palmatums from her. she also has conifers. Nothing is taged and most are severely root bound.but the price is right. Everything starts at $50 and i usually get it for 30 or 35. This past sunday i got a mugo '?' for 20. I will leave the cedar where it is and prune. I also do bonsai, so I know a little about keeping it small.

o

A little wire and some shears and with some patience I will try to shootvfor something like this.

o

or maybe I'll go espalier!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here