Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leyland Cypress

Posted by rhomy 7 wTN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 12:55

I have 20 yr old LC which I love. They move so gracefully in the wind.

My question - is it normal for the green growth to be only on the exterior of the branches? The interior of these trees are bare limbs.

Thanks! (I looked through some of the older postings but didn't see any about this - please I know some of you don't like LC, but I don't need advice on replacements)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leyland Cypress

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:09

In my area some of these go bald in the middle also. As do some specimens of various other Cypress Family conifers, including the native Thuja plicata; in the latter case in particular it is thought that a sparse habit is the result of site conditions being less than optimal.

o

I looked through some of the older postings but didn't see any about this

==>> really.. no post mentioned that interior browning and needle loss is ENTIRELY normal ... crikey i know i typed that about 1000 times over the years ... lol.. you gotta love.. unsearchable titles ...

perhaps part of it.. was that you think its somehow associated with your species ... it isnt ....

go to any forest .. conifer.. or deciduous.. look up.. ALL TREES ARE NUDEY INSIDE ..
as the canopy expands.. there isnt enough sunlight inside.. for the plant.. to waste energy on producing leaves in the dark ... and if they do.. they abort regardless ...

soooo.. on your babe... on a tree that can grow for 100 years [except for what it is.. lol]. ... yours is finally maturing enough.. to shade out the interior ...

ALL NORMAL ...

start worrying.. when the exterior is not thriving ...

ken

ps: at 20 years.. yours is barely entering the teens years.. in tree time ...

o

Hmm i didn't write that I had read all the posts --Some --

BTW I don't poke my nose in other's business and don't usually poke my nose in the middle of trees

Thanks for the assurance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here