Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Perennials around evergreen

mary_max
10 years ago

I have some Colorado blue spruce trees about 6 feet tall and I have perennials (purple coneflowers, coreopsis, blackeyed susans etc. growing next and around them. I thought how nice to have these nice flowering perennials until the trees get larger and then they will take the entire bed. But I was told by my neighbor it would stunt the growth of the Colorado blue spruce tree and the other evergreens. Is this correct? Thanks

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what nonsense....

there is no TREE... of which conifers are... that can not out compete a perennial ..

if it does... its bad plant.. or bad planting in the first part ...

the pungens roots ... at 6 feet tall .. are probably working their way past 10 feet out ...

now.. if you are digging under there all the time.. maybe you could down it down a bit ... but i doubt it ,,...

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

to clarify ...

as with grass and weeds.. choking a new planting.. and completing for water ... i would hesitate to plant large perennials too close to a transplant within the first year or two ...

once free range... and over transplant shock ... i dont see any reason you cant landscape around a conifer ... or under it.. etc ... presuming you arent under there.. digging holes all the time to move other plants in and out.. and perhaps cutting tree roots...

conifers are trees.. and the thought ... that you cant plant things under trees.. is just not in my hosta world ...

ken

• mary_max
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help Ken. I am very careful and not planting things that I have to dig out around the tree roots. I have planted things that I can simply cut back and let die as the tree grows so I wont be digging around the trees roots. The tree is my first priority!

• User
    10 years ago

I underplanted my Hemlocks with mostly ferns, some Pieris, Inkberry, Skimmia j. ... No problems.

• texjagman
    10 years ago

I utilize tall perennials around several of my conifers as an assisting micro-climate to keep the roots cooler in mid-summer. When the perennials die back in the fall, the conifer comes out in full view.

Bee Balm especially works well for this and has great flower power too. Plant away.

mark

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Theoretically might be true, but in practice I can't see any small perennials making a real difference for a grown tree growing in a climate it is well adapted to. If it did "stunt" the trees growth...would you really care if it took 30% longer to get from 6 feet to 7 feet? If you are concerned, dump a little fertilizer there, or plant nitrogen fixing legumes. The only possible issue is competition for nutrients. Just be careful not to plant vines.

A bigger concern would be the acidic soil created by the pine needles killing the perennials.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 13:25

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz