Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Take me to your leader

maple_grove_gw
10 years ago

I'm most impressed with the leader growth on my Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper' this year, looks like two feet or more. Two years ago, the plant was a victim to the nefarious white pine weeveil and the leader got taken out at that time. Last year, two side branches competed to take the role of leader, each growing about 9 inches. This spring I removed one of them, and the remaining leader has decided to make up for lost time. Here are some closeups of the leader and photos of the whole tree.

Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper'

Second prize for leader growth in my garden goes to Pinus strobus, a perennial winner:

Pinus strobus

Other random photos from the garden today:

One of my 'Pendula Bruns' specimens, living up to its reputation for a bizarre growth habit.

Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'

Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove'

Abies balsamea 'Nana'

Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon'

Abies lasiocarpa var. Arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'

Some pictures of my nursery area, for growing on baby container plants:

-Alex

Comments (12)

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Personally I would cut that wild leg out of the 'Pendula Bruns'.

It looks to be predominant and you don't want it to be.

Hey...otherwise great conifers all doing well.

Thanks for your interesting post.

Dave

• harv2016
    10 years ago

Wonderfull pictures, especially of the Berliner's Weeper. I have a small one, nice to see what it will look like in years to come. That's a good looking plant

• texjagman
    10 years ago

My Berliner's Weeper is a baby as well, only about 2'. Yours is really looking nice.

Mark

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

Nice post, Alex. That 'Berliner's Weeper' looks great. I also really like those standards you got from Coenosium this spring.

I think you've gone over this before, but why do you keep some of your cultivars in pots in the nursery area? Are you waiting for a spot to open up for them?

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave, Harv, Mark and Matt.

My strategy for dealing with the wayward branch on 'Pendula Bruns' has been to remove it over three years, since it makes up such a large part of the plant. Problem is, each year it puts on so much new growth that it nearly makes up for what was removed. Next spring, I'll prune off all that's left.

A couple reasons why I grow on young plants in containers. Mostly it's as you suggest, I'm waiting for a spot to open up for them. Early in the growth of my collection, acquisition became decoupled from planting. The soil on my property is on the clayey side, and the process of putting in new beds is slow since I have to bring in imported topsoil. I'm shooting for 1-2 new beds a year, and that could keep my busy for 10 years or so.

A second reason is that I get a lot of very young plants, and I feel they benefit from the flexibility that container growth offers. In the summer I can put them in shade or part sun. In the winter I can put them in the garage to keep them at 30-40 F. Growing them on in containers allows me to coddle them until they're older and stronger, though it certainly is more work.

Alex

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Thanks, Alex, nice plants. Your 'Berliner's Weeper' gives me hope for my 'Gotelli Weeping' that had it's leader taken out by nefarious fur rats this year.

tj

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't heard of fur rats before, but they do not sound like pleasant garden visitors. At least the weevils can be controlled with a once-a-year spray treatment, now that I know they're around. Best of luck with your GW.

If you look closely at the second photo, you can see the slight kink where the replacement leader joins the main trunk. You can also see the green tape used to stake it up...it's about time I get back there and cut that green tape off.

Alex

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Rabbits=Fur Rats
    Squirrels=Tree Rats
    Chipmunks=Dwarf Rats
    Deer=Woods Rats

tj

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, tj, you mean those fur rats.

I guess I do have fur rats after all.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Real nice! Spring Grove is one of my favorite dwarf Ginkgos.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice selections!

Josh

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, whaas and Josh!

This post was edited by maple_grove on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 7:14

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews