Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyt_gw

Blue Atlas Ceder Help

katyt
9 years ago

I purchased a blue atlas cedar. I will be moving in the next 4-6 weeks. How do I keep it alive until transplant? It is currently wrapped in burlap? Do I wait to plant until dormant? Thanks

Comments (9)

• bluecone
    9 years ago

The process of removing a tree from the soil it originally grew in likely caused damage to some of its roots, especially the peripheral fine roots through which water is most easily absorbed. Cedars in particular don't like their roots being disturbed.

It's therefore important to keep the tree under partial shade for these 4-6 weeks and keep its roots constantly moist by thoroughly watering every day until you see a little water leaking out of the burlap. Do not wait until the the tree is dormant to plant it. Instead, plant the tree in the ground as soon as possible, making sure to remove all the burlap before placing the rootball into the ground. When filling in the soil around it, tamp it down with your foot to make sure there are no empty air gaps. Until November, keep watering the tree thoroughly (ie. until you see a puddle forming at its base) at least 3 times a week.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont understand.. is it a BB standing above ground...

or a tree you are going to BB ...

if BB already.. get a pot a little bigger than the ball... throw some soil in the bottom.. nestle the plant on top ... and fill the rest with soil ...

get to new house.. put pot in shade ... keep it properly watered for a pot .... and plant it at the proper planting time ... of which i have no clue.. since i dont know where you are ...

ken

• katyt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it is balled and burlapped with just a little dirt in bottom of plastic pot it came in. I am in NW Arkansas-usually zone 7 on map.

• katyt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also.....I know you do not want to over-water, but if it is potted, how often should i water. I know I want to keep the root-ball from drying out.

9 years ago

there is no way. .any of us.. can tell you how to maintain moisture.. in a ball in a pot.. in arkansas ...

if there is some free space on top ... i would highly recommend some dampened mulch ... i would dampen it in a wheelbarrow or some such... to make it moist.. without drowning the ball below ... throw a bag of such in.. and fill with water for a day ... then drain and insert in pot ...

do we need to talk about buying the tree first.. then moving.. lol .. probably not ...

good luck

ken

• bluecone
    9 years ago

If the tree is already in a pot, the pot should have drainage holes at the bottom through which excess water can leak out. Check if you can see the holes at the bottom of the pot. If you find them, do a test watering to see if excess water actually comes out. If it does, then keep watering thoroughly every day.

If there are no holes and/or water pools up in the pot without leaking from the bottom, then find another pot that has drainage holes and move the tree into the new pot.

Plant the tree as soon as you have access to the land, don't wait till winter. Cedars don't like their roots disturbed or stuck in a pot. With potted trees, it's incredibly hard to find the right balance between keeping the soil wet enough to offset evaporation and dry enough to prevent root rot.

• katyt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Ken, I bought the $88 dollar tree on sale for $22. That's why I bought it before moving! But I appreciate the sarcastic post. I forget why I love forums so much.
    Thank you bluecone for the advice regarding planting and not waiting until the planting season. I have read conflicting information on this.

9 years ago

you are entirely welcome for all the info i gave you

too bad you cant take a joke..

of course you got a bargain on it..

ken

• katyt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do, in fact, appreciate the information. I often get on photography forums and have the same problem with "joking". Nobody can hear a "tone" in someone's voice on a forum, so I feel it is important to just state information so things don't come out as sarcastic and aggressive.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH