Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenjobber

Canadian hemlock planting?

gardenjobber
10 years ago

I'm looking to plant one or two large conifers and especially love Tsuga Canadensis (Canadian hemlock), but of course I'm concerned about the adelgid. We have a wild stand of them about a half mile away that are slightly infested, but no major damage that I've seen, but I know they can destroy the trees. I'm not much for pesticides and would probably limit control measures to keeping the tree strong and maybe some insecticidal soap. Is it worth planting one of these, or should I just choose something else?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

where are you ...

if they are already in the area.... i dont understand what makes them attractive to you ....

this is how it usually works in my garden.... you will get some.. they will be fine for a few years... and then one day.. you will say to yourself.. boy.. that was worth it ... i beat the odds .... they look sublime.. i am so happy i did it.. contrary to opinion ... I WON!!!!!

not soon after.. they will die ... lol

kid you not... been there.. done that ... on whatever plant....

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Old growth stands back there have been decimated. I would not plant it where the bug is present, failure seems too likely.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

One could realistically protect one or just a few trees. Not saying I would do so, but using a systemic product of some kind, or even soaps and hort. oils would not be too awful impractical. Really just down to what you can tolerate doing.

Another idea, although it would take a little searching on your part, would be to plant one of the resistant Tsugas-Asian and PNW varieties.

+oM

• User
    10 years ago

I inherited a strand of Hemlocks (did not plant them). I have to say, I do love'em. Yes, they seem very healthy, and no, I do virtually nothing for them. Yes, I have seen a few adellgids, but they never seem to get the upper hand. I hose off a couple of branches (2-3) and that's it. 99 % of the grove is fine. They have been here for a while. Don't know what the future will bring, but happy someone (perhaps in the distant past) planted them. Perhaps they are resistant, or I am lucky. Perhaps they will succumb next year or in the distant future...will worry about it later if at all, I guess. This is a generally moderate climate though--with tons of rain, maybe more stressed, the adellgids win. Do what you want is my message, there are no guarantees anyway in this world. Good luck!

This post was edited by njoasis on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 18:45

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Tsuga chinensis has been doing well for me, but if your zone is below 6 you can't grow it. If you can grow it, you can buy it at Japanese Maples & Evergreens

Blue River sells Tsuga diversifolia if you are interested in that. I think it's hardy to Z4. Cultivars of diversifolia are all dwarf, with the most commonly available being 'Loowit'. But in my experience the species, such as the one available at blue river grow at a reasonable rate and look similar to canadensis.

I have several mature Canadian hemlocks that are surviving, and a couple look much stronger this year after using soap and hort oil...but it's a pain, especially since they are 10ft tall. Eventually, I would like to replace with Japanese Hemlock (diversifolia).

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Yes, obviously I failed to mention you'd have to be in the appropriate zone for the Chinese version, or for any other having lesser cold-hardiness than canadensis.

+oM

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting