Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Spruce Extreme Pruning

Posted by OnToptheCage Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 14:25

Picked up a 4� tall Blue Spruce from the local nursery yesterday to add to the up-and-coming backyard. I�ve been reading message board, after message board today about these beautiful conifers. The location I�m looking to place this item causes me to inquire: How extreme can I prune the BS. I�m looking to place the spruce about 4� from the house & deck so that it will eventually "close up" the 5� gap between bottom of deck and ground. My thinking is that I could prune the spruce over time so that it never touches the house or deck. Some other questions I have are (1) will the root system pose a problem to the 20� x� 30� concrete patio located approximately 6� from the planting site (2) will the root system pose a problem to the homes foundation over time (3) can I prune/trim the spruce down in height so that it never exceeds the gutter height (about 20� from ground). Basically I would be extremely manipulating the trees natural growth.

Does my idea sound reasonable OR am I out of my mind and should find an alternative solution.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Spruce Extreme Pruning

am I out of my mind

==>> yes

return it.. and buy a dwarf or mini ...

at the link .... study the annual growth rate info .. further down is pruning info .... if you insist ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 15:24

repeat to the post above if you are taking votes.

This is the absolute wrong plant for pruning as such.

o

Hope your up-and-coming backyard has other available spaces. For your application, a blue spruce couldn't be more wrong!

If you insist, try your hand at "candle cutting" some of the new growth every year. Or, enjoy it as it grows naturally for ten years or so, then cut it down as a lovely Christmas tree (if that's a holiday you celebrate) for your family room; and plant something appropriate in the space.

o

It's possible to extremely prune a blue spruce!

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 22:39

Of course its possible to torture anything!lol!

o

I think we're talking bondage here.

o

THANK YOU ALL very much for the input. Not to pass the buck, but it's my wife who is insisting we plant the BS by the deck/house. I like duluthinbloomz4's idea in letting it grow until it's the perfect Christmas tree size. Now the battle begins with the wife to convince her that this is a very bad idea.

Thanks again everybody,
Dave

o

Well, you know Dave, it could always meet with an "unfortunate accident" a few years down the road, just around Thanksgiving time when, gee golly whiz, it's time to put up a Christmas tree. You know, some critter could go out in the night and girdle the trunk or something. I know if that happened to my tree, I'd say, "well, might as well cut it and enjoy it as a Christmas tree so it's not a total loss." ;-)

o

Well, you know Dave, it could always meet with an "unfortunate accident" a few years down the road, just around Thanksgiving time when, gee golly whiz, it's time to put up a Christmas tree. You know, some critter could go out in the night and girdle the trunk or something. I know if that happened to my tree, I'd say, "well, might as well cut it and enjoy it as a Christmas tree so it's not a total loss." ;-)

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:22

With a little creative pruning you could always treat it as an in ground bonsai and have fun with it. This kind of bondage can be fun. ;-)
Mike

o

Well after speaking with the wife, she's of the position that it will make a perfect Christmas tree the year it out grows it's prospective planting location. Until that time comes, we'll have an outside tree to hang lights on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here