Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankcbd

Just bought 6 Thuja Green Giants. OK to leave in pot?

frankcbd
14 years ago

Hello,

Our local Lowe's was selling 24" green giants for $4.98 each, so I grabbed 6 of them. I know this isn't the best time to plant them, but is it possible to leave these in their pots for a month or two before planting? I'd like to wait until it's cooler, if possible. Meanwhile, will watering twice a day while in the pot give them a better shot for survival? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm in Roanoke, VA.

[IMG]http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww324/diggy488/z011.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww324/diggy488/z011.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (11)

• frankcbd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see the images won't display, but if interested in seeing what they currently look like, go to the following links:
    http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww324/diggy488/z011.jpg
    http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww324/diggy488/z012-1.jpg

• frankcbd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:772389}}
    {{gwi:772391}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

same as the leyland ...

very forgiving plant...

unless you have to do major root surgery .. plant them ...

mulch properly.. and

water properly ...

ken

• frankcbd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Ken. How do I examine the roots though? I guess I don't know how I can examine them without removing the pot. And if I do have to do root surgery and wait to plant, do you simply put back in the pot? I apologize for the newbie questions. We're very grateful to have help like this on the web. thanks so much.

• sluice
    14 years ago

After a plant has been growing in the pot for a while, the roots grow throughout the potting mix so that together, the roots and the potting mix set up to form a "cake".

When you take the plant out of the pot, this solidified root cake remains intact and can be inspected without completely crumbling all over the place. If the cake has dried out, it might be a little harder to remove from the pot; moistening the cake a little bit prior to removal seems to help.

It's also not a bad idea to put the pot and tree at a 45 degree angle to the ground, before sliding it out. That way, you don't need to pull as hard when separating the tree from the pot (e.g. you're not pulling the tree directly upward out of the pot, which can put stress on the trunk).

It's usually pretty easy to slide it back into the pot after inspection.

14 years ago

put your hand over the media.. with the trunk between your fingers .... and tip it over 180 degrees .... and it should slide right out... be aggressive.. it will come ...

observe.. snap a pic .... turn it back over... and it should slip right back in ..

based on the size of the plant in ratio to the pot.. you are probably going to have one big chunk of root ... snap a pic ...

report back.. post the pic.. and we can go from there ...

these are very forgiving plants ... and you have a bulletproof guarantee... some times.. you can just unwind the roots.. which would give you no problems...

other times you have to cut the biggest ones and that is where you MIGHT have trouble doing it in the heat of summer ...

ken

PS: if the ball of soil simply falls apart... just plant the thing ....

• frankcbd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You all are beautiful people. I will do this and get some pics going!!!! THANK YOU!

-Frank

• frankcbd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok. I removed each plant from their pot to take the pics. There are 6 groups of pics. Most look pretty wound up, while a couple look comfortable. What do you all think? At this point, would it be wise to spread the roots and transfer to a larger pot until I can plant these in October? Or should I just stick them in the ground now? We're looking at 90° degree temps for the upcoming weeks. Thanks everyone!

{{gwi:772393}}
    {{gwi:772396}}
    {{gwi:772399}}
    {{gwi:772401}}

{{gwi:772403}}
    {{gwi:772405}}
    {{gwi:772406}}

{{gwi:772407}}
    {{gwi:772408}}
    {{gwi:772409}}
    {{gwi:772410}}
    {{gwi:772411}}

{{gwi:772412}}
    {{gwi:772413}}
    {{gwi:772414}}

14 years ago

i am sorry ... i have lost sight of one important fact ... THESE ARE 5 DOLLAR PLANTS ...

just plant them ... jeez ... lol

what i would worry about on a 5$ versus.. 50.. vs.. 100.. vs 500 dollar plants is different ...

all but the first look pretty decent .... crush the media.. untangle the roots a bit.. and plant them .. at the proper height.. water properly.. and mulch properly ...

the first.. i would spend some time trying to unravel the root mass ... perhaps even cutting a few of the worst tangled ones ... and insure a little more tlc ...

one of the reasons they are $5 .. is that they are weeds.. and grow like weeds.. and are near bullet proof ..

frankly.. on these plants.. you have a greater chance to mess up.. if you were to try to fool with pots for 3 months ...

the bigger ones ... from the other post ....i dont know

good luck

ken

PS: last pic.. #1.. shorten the second leader on the far left .... same on #6 .. if i am focusing properly .... right above teh white label on the pot ...

• frankcbd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! I know it, Ken. It's not the money...I just want to learn to do things right the first time, when possible. I want to put these in the ground and feel confident in my work. And I just want to ensure they have a better chance to live.
    How far back should I cut the 2nd leaders that you mentioned? Thanks for your time Ken. Please accept my virtual handshake. :)

14 years ago

half way.. then recheck it in a year or two ...

btw .... all the balls should be broken up top some extent .. roots spread out a bit ....

handshake completed... lol

ken

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES