Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Anyone growing Pinus wallichiana 'Zebrina'?

ademink
18 years ago

I bought this wonderful tree last year and can't say enough good about it! It's just gorgeous and is performing beautifully thus far. I was just wondering if anyone else has more experience with this variety than I do and what your feedback is...?

Thanks!

andrea

Comments (76)

• ademink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, here are three new ones from today. I had absolutely no winter burn last winter. I sprayed the tree w/ anti-dessicant (wilt proof stuff) in November and it made it like a champ! If you haven't sprayed yours yet, wait until a day above freezing and definitely do so. I agree that the variegation isn't as good in summer but fall, winter and spring, it's very eye-catching!

The next one I have my eye on is P x wallichiana "Frosty" - I wanted to hug this tree when I saw it! LOL The lady wouldn't sell it to me, she was using it in her trial garden...grrrrrr. hehe

If anyone needs close-ups, let me know. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to tromp out into the yard. :)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Technical note: no "x" in Pinus wallichiana. The "x" means a plant is from a cross (a hybrid plant). Hardiness there will be demonstrated after decades, it's not unusual for trees to grow for 20, 30, even 40 years and then freeze stone dead in a climate that is really beyond their tolerance range. Seattle is peppered with Zone 9 stuff right now, unless global warming has an effect on this the expectation among those of us who have gardened here for long enough is that there will be another big wipeout at some point.

• pineresin
    18 years ago

I'd agree with BBoy on that - many of the Pinus wallichiana and Cedrus I saw in zone 7 Denmark were close to 40 years old when they were zapped in the severe 1981/82 winter - and have read about the previous wipeout when lots of cedars were killed there in the previous severe winter in 1940

Bit more worrying is the 1740 winter, which killed all but a very few Cedrus in Britain (zone 8/9) - I hope that one isn't ever going to be repeated!

Resin

• ademink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry BBoy, I thought "x" was for the rest of "pinus"...I didn't know that's what it meant. Thanks for the education, there's always more to learn.

Well, I guess if this thing is bound to drop dead in 40 years, then I'll enjoy it while I have it. :)

• doniki
    18 years ago

andrea-
    thanks for the pics... It is very attractive in the winter... I like the irregular, open shape of "Zebrina." I've seen a larger one in Cleveland and it had the most unusual structure... It looked great next to a tight, formal blue spruce. I don't know how long the Cleveland "Zebrina" has been there... If it went through the all time low of -20F in 1994. Maybe I'll get a few good years out of it... I saw "Frosty" for the first time this spring up in Michigan and it was much more formal looking but I still really liked it. I put "Frosty" on my list for next spring... I was told that if wallichiana is grafted onto strobus understock it is increases the hardiness...??? Not sure if that's true or not...

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I just picked up 'Frosty' this past spring.It's a small plant still, will take a few years to get going. Who could resist the name "Frosty".

• hairmetal4ever
    18 years ago

Considering our ALL-TIME low was reached just back in '94 that's usually my reference point. If a plant survived that winter, then it's probable it will survive as long as I do! January 19, 1994 we dipped to -25F. Other nearly as cold were January 20, 1985 when we hit -24F and Feb. 10, 1899 at -20, late January 1963 we were around -22. The 1994 freeze was notable in occuring in a winter where December and February were both mild. Any plant more than ten years old right now I would feel OK with if it's growing in my area.

Examples:

Cedrus deodara "Karl Fuchs"
    Sequoiadendron giantetum "Hazel Smith"
    Cedrus libani stenocoma

There are examples over 20 years old within 10 miles of here. When I see a Pinus wallaichiana that age, I'll plant one!

• robert_lovett
    16 years ago

BAD news for Pinus wallichiana in zone 6-a. After three years, our 11 wallies looked great, growing 1- 1/2 ft per year.

Then come a record settling cold snap in early April with 5 days of lows in the twenties (*F), the lowest 19*F. on April 8, eight degrees below the previous record.

First their new candles wilted AND now each tree is turning entirely brown. Zonal denial? Bah Humbug! Robert Lovett

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Robert,

Sad to hear, but it doesn't surprise me!

I've seen several wallies killed off in zone 7 after a severe winter.

Resin

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh no, so sorry to hear that Robert!!! Mine looks like it just took a waltz thru the park and so do my Weeping Blue Atlas Cedars. I know that everyone says it's just a matter of time but so far...so good. :D I am just looking at them as annuals. LOL!!

Interesting note: Two WBAC's and the Zebrina are around the pond w/ a Bloodgood JM also. I lost half of the 8'ish JM but the others were fine!

Odd, eh?

• bengz6westmd
    16 years ago

That's interesting, Robert. I've also been tallying up losses from the cold late winter/spring. Surprisingly, I noticed one 3' P. wallichiana (seed source Bhutan) came thru decidely good compared to some of my evergreens. But I'm thinking now it won't have a long life here.

Longleaf pine seedlings here look weather-beaten but OK.

• robert_lovett
    16 years ago

One other thing----we had had an all-time record-setting warm March (several times in the 80's) before this April coldsnap. A trap!

Also all of the candles of all of the Pinus koraiensis are dead and in the majority of them the entire tree is dying. This is not so sad because the Korean Pines have been struggling all along. P. densiflora lost only candles and seems O.K. except for this year's growth. .

The P. palustris are O.K. (except for the damage from the killer icestorm 2-1/2 months earlier).

All new Metasequoia foliage turned brown, but Taxodium distichum is unharmed. Now, 20 days later, I see just a very few new Metasequoia leaves----they seem to be in big trouble.

In general the exotics seem to have sprouted too early and were nailed whereas the wiser endemics were not suckers for the early heat and avoided the big late freeze. But not always: Pinus peuce and cembra were slower to sprout and are O.K. And Pseudolarix also sprouted early just like Metasequoia and suffered not a bit of harm. Go figure. rl

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ditto on the weather conditions here, Robert. Blazing hot to freezing cold. I think my conifers just got lucky and dodged the bullet this time...but not my Japanese Maple. Go figure, indeed!

• conifer50
    16 years ago

All of my pseudolarix were fairly well leafed out as well as several asian species of Larix.....The Golden Larch showed no damage at all, seemingly more cold resistant than the true larches! This seems a bit strange considering the Pseudo's native range.

conifer50

• robert_lovett
    16 years ago

conifer50, beng, ademink, resin, all----

Sorry to belabor this, but I must concluded with this note of high praise for Pseudolarix and testament to its cold hardiness. I found a giant in a backyard in midtown Springfield MO. (z.6a), I'd guess around 60 y.o. It is about 10 blocks from Missouri State University and the present owners know nothing of its history. Possibly some M.S.U. professor made a trip to China and brought it back. Or, more likely, he/she had botanic "connections" because there are some very large Metasequoia on campus, possibly the original 1946/7 distribution or not long after.

And the Pseudolarix are fast growers here. And sooooo beautiful! Only Pinaceae member with 11 pairs of chromosomes. Luv 'em! rl

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

I couldn't resist the purchase of this pine some years ago. A friend and conifer expert suggested that I candle it to keep it compact. Suburban Philadelphia is the location.

Here is the result.

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I could hug it!!! Just gorgeous! Looks like yours is doing really well!

Why keep it compact? It looks amazing but I'm wondering what the reasoning is behind it.

Thx for sharing pics! I need to post some of mine after this crazy drought we had all summer. Still crankin' along and looking great!

I love this tree.

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

I think the reasoning is that it has a greater impact and is not nearly as leggy as others. Look for a picture on line and all you see is a close up of the fascicles.
    I'm not sorry with the results!

• ademink
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another winter and ol' girl is still looking great (as well as the two Weeping Blue Atlas Cedars....)

:)

Andrea

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

hey stranger...

i note in your original post .. you claimed zone 5 ...

in which zeb should have died ...

but in your last post ... above this one.. you have decided you are z6 .... which is why zeb thrives ...

go figure .,...

ken

• ademink
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes...stranger every day :)

They are supposedly changing us to a zone 6...i dont know if it's official yet or not.

I think i have a 6 microclimate in my backyard though.

well, glad it works, whatever makes it work. I'm just happy that Spring is finally here so i don't have to die from SADS. lol sheesh...grey winter!!!!!!

• ademink
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well...winter #5 and subzero extended temps...i'm holding my breath!!!!

i hope the ol' girl makes it this year (not to mention the weeping blue atlas cedars..yikes!)

• sprucebud
    15 years ago

A nice specimen growing in southern Poland taken during last summer's tour by the British and Dutch conifer societies.

• nikkie_in_toronto
    15 years ago

I think a lot will depend on location- out of strong winds and winter sun. In 2007 I had one come thru two consecutive nights of -20C with daytime temps only up to -16C with some very minor burn but. This year its two nights of -25C, so its REALLY pushing it I think. The only thing I think might (fingers crossed) save it for me is tons of snow cover which has insulated the ground to where its not as frozen as usual, daytime temps getting up to at least -10C and absolutely NO sun. I'm waiting for burn to appear but I forgot how long it takes? Ditto with Cedrus atlantica. Ive noticed some cedrus atlantica around town that look great and one that had some burn on it today. Wait and see.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Pinus wallichiana 'Frosty' must be grafted on a Pinus strobus understock to see this nice needle colour in Winter.
    If it's grafted on a Pinus wallichiana understock the needle colour isn't that nice...

• bengz6westmd
    15 years ago

I've got a couple straight P. Ws from Bhutan (from a trade w/another GW member). Both have seen -8F (-22C) and look OK, but they're not vigorous trees here.

• nikkie_in_toronto
    15 years ago

Scrolling through, I just noticed the specimen in Philly. That's beautiful. Mine is not quite that large, possibly 6ft, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for it as I've grown accustomed to it over the past 5 years. Interestingly, I've seen Frosty come through some very difficult winters in middle michigan (perhaps -27C) with burn but full recovery. It was subject to little wind and little winter sun, which might have helped a bit.

I'm also a bit concerned about my pinus thunbergii Shirome Janome and Oculus Draconis.

• bengz6westmd
    15 years ago

I've got a couple straight P. Ws from Bhutan (from a trade w/another GW member). Both have seen -8F (-22C) and look OK, but they're not vigorous trees here.

• ademink
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An update to this yet again:

A wicked winter..........but she survived!!! Had some decent amount of burn on the needles but lots of new growth getting ready to spring forth!

The blue atlases also took a beating but they made it!

5 years so far...not bad for having an "annual" mentality with these things! LOL

Pics later...after the rain and hail we're having today (yippee!)

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FYI...she is still kickin'! Looks beautiful, as well as the BAC's.

Looks like my "annuals" may just be perennials after all. ;D

andrea

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it's me again! Just another update that despite record low rainfall last summer and ice storms and subzero temps.....ol' girl Zebrina and her two blue girlfriends are all still strollin' along!

I thought I might lose her or the cedars this winter but they're still here!

YAY!

• sluice
    13 years ago

Hi Andrea, glad to hear your Zebrina is doing fine!

Any chance for a pic?

Nate
    (also formerly of sw MI)

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll get out there at and get one today!

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has some burn, but it usually does this time of year.

• sluice
    13 years ago

Thanks!

The more I see of this tree, the more I like it. Great color and texture!

• baxswoh
    13 years ago

FYI I saw a Wallichiana at the Rowe Arboretum in Cincinnati last month. I'm guessing it was 30 years old. Great plant and obviously survived the killer winter of 1992-3 when we went to -24 here. Enjoy without being on pins and needles that the pine might say goodbye at the first bad winter.

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

awesome! thanks for the GOOD news. :)

it's by far my favorite and if it died every two years, i'd still replace it. with that mindset, i'm not stressed over it anymore. LOL

i was told the WBAC's wouldn't make it one winter and they are still truckin' along like it's zone 8 out there!

• JakeK
    12 years ago

Here's the Wallichiana at Rowe Arboretum. It has survived some pretty cold winters, but I'm starting to think the topography here drains cold air quite efficiently, so while very flat areas like CVG and Hamilton can see extremely cold temperatures, the hilly regions experience more moderate temperatures.

Btw, there were 3 Wallichiana's near the river at Sawyer Point that were excellent specimens but the City cut them down last year. They looked to be perfectly healthy, so I'm not sure why they removed them. They were probably 12-15m tall.

• baxswoh
    12 years ago

Nice picture Jake. Good point on the topography. However, while cold air might well travel down and away from that spot at Rowe, the higher area is exposed to more wind.

That's pretty sad about Sawyer Point.

• ademink
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My ol' girl is still going strong! We had a really mild winter so I didn't even have any needle burn.

What is the general growth rate of these in other's experience? Mine seems to be sloooooow

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sad to say that Zebrina is finally giving up the ghost after 8 years. :( The drought last year got her. New needles came out about 2" and they never grew any longer. The top of the tree is starting the brown and the branches are literally wrinkling up.

I tried to water it "undercover" through the watering ban but it wasn't enough.

I'm just sick about it - this was my favorite tree.

I'll be purchasing another but there are no local suppliers...I'm stuck w/ little twigs by mail. lol

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It appears my new 'Zebrina' 1' twig made it through the Polar Blast & Vortex and the 2 WBACs are still hanging in there. I can't believe it.

They have some burned up needles but so far, so green.

This winter will definitely be the true test of their mettle!

Cedrus deodora 'Aurea' half burned up...half normal. Way out of its zone so we'll see what happens.

• ademink
    6 years ago

My 1' Zebrina twig is still the same size on year 4. LOL I think it may have eeked out one more tiny branch but that's about it. zzzzz The Cedrus deodora 'Aurea' is completely unphased by anything. I actually gave it away to a neighbor b/c it was getting too large for the space (that was a fun transplant lol) and she's doing great! So much for zone 7-9....

• ademink
    6 years ago

Oh WOW...truly gorgeous! I hope my little stick gets going at some point. I've never had anything stall out like this replacement tree!!!

• plantkiller_il_5
    6 years ago

it might have circling roots,,,choking it's growth

ron

• ademink
    6 years ago

Roots are good. Completely removed from pot/medium and all good. It's weird.

• maackia
    6 years ago

We can grow the P. strobos x P. wallichiana hybrid, but Himalayan Pine is just out of reach. Mary17445’s Zebrina is sure nice. It looks healthy and like it’s about ready to bust a move. Is it on the east side of your home?

• bengz6westmd
    6 years ago

mary17445, that one looks very nice w/the weeping needles. My straight Himalayan died recently -- not sure why. Borers attacked it severely, but not convinced that was the cause.

• mary17445
    6 years ago
    Maackia my Zebrina faces North,is planted on South side of yard.
Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!