Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Redwood Hardiness

whaas_5a
11 years ago

I picked up a 'Ogon' today and was surprised to see the tag say hardiness -10 to -20. From some reason I thought this plant was hardy to zone 4.

I know it has spring and fall frost issues but this thing bounces back like crazy so no concerns there.

Zone 5a with a typicaly low of -13 and once a decade -20. No problem right?

Comments (17)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Everything I find online says Zone 5. I don't think it would be any different than the species. Do regular D.R. grow in your area? Sorry, I can't keep everyone straight, are in the Milwaukee area, Madison, or further west or north? I can't imagine any problems in Milwaukee or Madison, now up in say Superior that might be a different story.

I killed mine. I had to move it 2 years ago, after being in the ground about 7-8 years, because the stupid municipality came through and installed a blankety-blank pedestrian path through my yard. I dug a nubmer of things first thing in the spring that year, and this and a juniper were the only ones that didn't make it. So it's on my list to re-buy this summer, fall. I'm waiting now for the really good sales at the nurseries. It's a slow grower comparatively, so I'm going to pick up the biggest one I can handle.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My species plant is doing well but its only been subjected to a zone 6 winter in my yard.

Missouri Botanic did list it to zone 4. As you mentioned most others list it to zone 5. Zone 5 is tricky depending on what side they land. For example JMs do great in Chicago zone 5 but could be disatrous in my zone 5.

I'm 20 miles west of Lake Michigan and 30 miles north of Milwaukee.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

No problem right?

==>> sure .. just like mother nature provides rain and temperate heat in your garden ... and you can work for a living.. instead of taking time off to water.. and have a social life ...

surprised at your use of common names.. i didnt know a true redwood would grow out here ... otherwise.. i am not understanding which plant you are talking about .???

ken

• hairmetal4ever
    11 years ago

Metasequoia, I think.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Little buggers like the heat. They just need supplemental water.

I did get lazy and should have stated Metasequoia glyptostroboides. But I knew there wasn't a cultivar 'Ogon' within Sequoia and Sequoiadendron.

My understanding is that they are all redwoods by the way. So true, false, pseudo would not apply here.

So whats up, have you lost any Metasequoia glyptostroboides to a zone 4/5 winter?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

I bought one locally after seeing a 30-35 foot high specimen that the nursery (Avant Gardens in Dartmouth, MA) has on their property. Absolutely gorgeous aginst a deep green forest backdrop. My tag said it was good to zone 4. It is from China and was thought to be extinct until it was discovered in China in the 40s and Arnold Arboretum propogated some from seeds.

The mature tree is very pyramidal and when exposed to sun turns a nice gold color. The link says zone 4 as well.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: more info

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

dawn redwood in my cold z5 is winter bulletproof ...

but subject to repeated freezes because they tend to bud early ...

i have gold rush [i think that is ogon] .. jack frost.. and one plain old green ones...

ahh whats in a name anyway .. lol ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Done, its going in. With the exception of less winds my plot is almost a replica of yours (climate wise).

Jonny, thanks for the link.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

In zone 4, near a place called Suring WI if you want to look it up, two out of my initial three are still alive and surprisingly doing okay. Utterly neglected, I was surprised when up there last week to see them appearing to have grown some. I'd pretty much lost interest for that plant in that zone.

+oM

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Forgot to say, these are green ones....

• User
    11 years ago

Slow grower?! Growth here for DR is incredibly fast! As stated above new growth can be vulnerable to late cold but also early heat.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cultivar 'Ogon' is slower growing than the species.

I believe that is what denninmi was getting at.

Tom, Suring WI is way the heck up there. Sounds like zone 4 is borderline but the plant is solid in zone 5.

Sntached a 7' b&b that was in a 25 gallon container. Surprised at the root growth into the media outside the ball. $65...can't beat that!

• User
    11 years ago

I had an Ogon several years ago. For some reason, the leaves eventually turned a creamy white color--very exotic. I was willing to live with it but a couple of springs ago, as the new leaves were emerging there was high heat and wind. The foliage looked as though it was blasted by a torch. I let it be but it looked half dead and was not recuperating so I eventually replaced it with a Bald Cypress and established a planting of standard green DRs in a somewhat shadier location. No problems. Are Ogons more temperamental/ finicky compared to the greens? ( P.S., Ogon may be a bit slower compared to the standard, but still grows at a decent rate.)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

"The cultivar 'Ogon' is slower growing than the species.
    I believe that is what denninmi was getting at."

Yup! Relatively slow growing. Mine was really little when I got it, basically just a grafted whip, after 7-8 years it was about 10 feet tall. Wasn't in the best spot, either, though, kind of on the sandy, dry side, although I always tried to keep it watered during drought.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd agree it attains height quickly. The one I just got had barely any burning. Impressive considering it was sitting in a black pot, full sun.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Yes Whaas, my DRs are but a sideshow at my tree farm location. An interesting sideshow but not the main event at all! That's what the thousands of Norway spruce, hybrid larch, and red pine are for.

+oM

• User
    11 years ago

After a bit of research, I see what I once had must have been the cultivar 'Jack Frost', but still, this tree must have gone from yellowish-green, to creamy white to white. At the time, I thought the foliage was being bleached or it was sickly. Oh, one more thing regarding 'hardiness'which is kinda cold-weather related. I understand that DR's are very sensitive to road salts. In fact, when my oringinal tree went into decline, I was uncertain as to whether it was due to the weather at the time or the neighbor's pool water which flooded out the previous season. The bald cypress looks fine though in virtually the same site. Now I am intrigued by these variegated DR's and may get one to containerize--no more planting space now!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County