Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I can't find the attacker

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:50

Got this 7'ish Pinus cembra 'Glauca'. Had a slew of resin with the pine dust gooping out of the wound.

Wiped it away and took a paper clip and tried poking around and it was fairly deep in multiple directions.

Week later today I checked and yet another large gob of sap and pine dust.

Either this or several borers continue to borer in the pine or this is just additional pine dust flowing from the wound.

Given this is a 10+ year plant I'd rather be a bit more proactive.

Any suggestions for what to do? I can certainly apply a systemic but I believe it takes some time for the typical Bayer products to be absorbed.

Is there anything else I can use that is instant as a precaution since I can't locate and pierce the would be borer?

photo photo1-4.jpg

photo photo2-4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can't find the attacker

Have you ever used Azasol? I've used it for my vegetable garden, but you can inject it into trees. It works systemically.

http://azasol.com/azasol-for-you/trees-shrubs/

o

Use a pocket knife and try to dig that borer or borers out.

I recently purchased: Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control which can be applied as a foliar application or drench. I got it on Amazon. It's only a teaspoon and 1/2 per gallon as a foliar spray so a small bottle goes a very long way.

After you've dug and if you're satisfied, wrap aluminum foil around the wounded areas and tie it in place with stretch tape or other. Aluminum foil acts as a callous generator as well as a barrier.

Dax

o

nix foliar spray. I read just now that foliar sprays are ineffective once a borer has bored into a tree.

Your best/only options are a knife and a soil drench followed up with aluminum foil.

Dax

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:25

Thanks for the suggestions!

So I skewer'ed that m'fer. I can't believe how much damage it did. I kept use the paper clip as a guide to see how far it went. Hoping it was just the one.

I guess I will see what the tree does over the next year. Unreal how it goes for what I would have thought was one of my healthiest pines...one of my favorite screening ones to boot.

Still do the aluminum foil based upon the wound?

photo photo-3.jpg

photo photo-4.jpg

o

• Posted by lizo SE WI zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 2:04

wow! this looks like something out of a horror movie! how did you dare to remove so much bark? (I hope he's the only one)

o

Good job. Yep, wrap it up. I'd do a drench, too.

Dax

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:24

It does look pretty bad doesn't it? I used the paper clip as a guide to seek out the gap under the bark.

We'll have to see how it recovers by next spring. Otherwise its going to be a very vulnerable plant long term.

o

That is a nasty wound. The width of it is a concern. I had similar damage on my Picea a. 'Reflexa' about 4 years ago.

It needs to be sealed off. Sooner the better.

I had a huge wound. About 2w.x3 inches tall after all the cutting and digging to remove the critter.

I used Doc Farwell's Heal And Seal with great results. It will seal off that leaking sap in a matter of days. My tree now is completely healed.

Just throwing it out there as an option. THat is what this forum is for.

Good luck,

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree wound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here