Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

What is it? How do I kill it?

Jon 6a SE MA
11 years ago

My Cedrus Deodara seems to be doing fine...

{{gwi:772746}}

...except for this one branch...

{{gwi:772748}}

....where I found over a dozen of these.....

{{gwi:772750}}

...munching their way from the tip to the trunk.

I picked off the ones I could find (squashed them) and don't see any more, on any other branches with similar damage. I checked other trees and didn't see indications of more.

What is it? How do I kill it?

Comments (9)

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Maybe sawfly larvae. You can easily kill them they way you have already done ;-)

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

sounds like you already took care of them.. whats more to do??

check out the link ...

i have a quart spray bottle from the hardware.. with a lightweight pyrethrum spray.. and used to go hunting after dinner for such ...

if your conifers are small enough.. i dont know why you would need to go nuclear .. and bomb the whole place ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Resin,

I think you are exactly right. I looked up pictures of Sawflies and those are the flies that would get all over my puppy's ears when I took her for a walk. Judging by the amount of flies that were around I may be very busy.

Those things are really annoying.

Thank you,

Jon

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken,

If the hand-picking works and they don't go after a lot of other trees then it's not a big deal. I just didn't know what I was up against and how widespread it may be.

Jon

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

They're sawfly larvae. They will be specific to their host plant, not general feeders. And yes, you have probably already nearly eliminated them.

I like Ken's idea of having some pyrethroid insecticide mixed and ready to go. Pyrethroids are relatively safe for the applicator and the surrounding environment when used in this way. Above all, overall nuclear options are not called for in such a case as this.

+oM

ps......do not, I repeat, do not get any spray drift from any pyrethroid insecticide in your eyes! It will hurt.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

do not get any spray drift from any pyrethroid insecticide in your eyes! It will hurt.

==>> and that is why i smoke while i do it..

the wind is always at my back... lol...

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It seems as if the best thing to do is just keep checking around to see if they target something else. I agree it makes no sense to simply start blanket spraying of insecticides. I was surprised to see them go after needles like that, but the Deodara needles are very soft.
    Thanks,
    Jon

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Yep Jonny, there's a sawfly species for many if not most conifer species. Now for some fun, when you know you've got a branch of one of your plants loaded with them, sneak up on them and watch; They'll all freeze in place simultaneously! Loads of fun for the whole family.

+oM

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

+oM,

Exactly, I haven't seen any more, but when I first saw them I thought the green bunches were some sort of mutation in needle growth maybe caused by a disease. Much to my surprise, the "mutant needles" started wiggling when I touched them.

Jon