11 years ago

Sweet William 'Sooty'

Picea omorika 'Bruns'

Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'

Richard

Comments (18)

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Nice photo shoot Richard. Everything looks well cared for.

Sure put my garden to shame.

I can't even grow grass.

Dave

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yep, it looks really good. To garden with perennials and conifers is a lot more work, more work than I'd be willing to put forth.

What's the red-petaled shasta daisy looking perennial above Sweet William 'Sooty'?

Dax

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What's the red-petaled shasta daisy looking perennial above Sweet William 'Sooty': Helenium 'Mardi Gras'
    Richard

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Thanks.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Very nice Richard!
    The 'Filip's Blue Compact' is having a good time in your garden, it's shape will be nicer by the year :0)

• Cher
    11 years ago

Still lovely Richard. Everything looks so lush and GREEN. My green this year is brown. Nice not having to mow, but unfortunately everything else is brown also so it's nice looking at your beautiful gardens.
    Cher

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Haven't you heard Chohio, brown is the new green!

It actually rained again today......+oM

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Jeezwiz, glad it's raining for someone.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Yeah they got close to 3"...

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

the other week.

Nice pics sprucebud!

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Yeah, we've been quite blessed with rain lately. Too bad it took all summer to get here. And as I've noted previously, just under 60 miles due north of where I live lies my tree farm/woods property, which has been well watered all summer.

I don't mind hot or cold, windy or calm, but I can't stand drought.

+oM

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Real real nice. What a pleasure to see! Great photography! I wish we could get 'Filip's Blue Compact' here. Yours looks great!
    AL

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Very, very nice set of photos. In my opinion, this is gardening at its best. I love the interplay of the soft herbaceous foliage with hard thin coniferous needles! But I'm with Dax, I just don't have the time anymore that perennials require to keep them looking right. Some day in the future the perennials will return to my garden, and I suppose that's something to look forward to.

What's the narrow upright seen through the panicles in the second photo? Really like that one.

Alex

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Very beautifull stuff Richard!! I see your Picea omorika 'Aurea' hasn't yellowed much this year? Too little sun?

Best regards,
    Fotis

• botann
    11 years ago

Great pictures.
    It's been fun watching your garden grow.
    I like the 'Sootie' picture. Nice color combo.
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Awesome Richard, we have very similar tastes(only add a distaste for turf in my case).

Picea omorika's, Abies procera's, Helenium 'Mardi Gras', heathers, Japanese maples, the weeping beech!

I presume your Picea omorika 'Aurea' has the same lack of sunshine that mine has - the UK has had a very similar cool, cloudy Summer as the PNW.

Thanks for sharing, though we need more closeups on the conifers in your next post.

-Will

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the appreciative comments.
    Alex - I purchased the plant you are referring to in photo 2 as Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'. However, it appears from previous remarks that it is likely to be Picea omorika 'Bruns'. It certainly has a narrow form. Most unfortunately, a bird must have landed on its leader in the spring and took it off. New buds have since formed so we will see what happens next year.
    Will - quite right. The lack of sun must have affected the Picea omorika 'Aurea'. We are having a poor summer. That said, my garden seems to be enjoying it!
    Richard

• ghgwv
    11 years ago

I have tried to mix perennials with my trees as well. You have done a much better job. I really like seeing what a really good garden looks like.

Gary