Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smack17

Thoughts of this hedge?

smack17
9 years ago

1) What type of hedge is this?
2) How many more years do you think it has in it?

Background
- this property is completely unlandscaped
-on the other side of the hedge is a railroad track so we enjoy the privacy and would like a hedge of some kind (this one if it has a lot more life)
-but if it will need to be replaced in the next few years we'd rather do it now while there is nothing around them instead of doing it through garden beds in a few years.

See close up of hedge in following post.

Comments (6)

• smack17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For reference the hedges are about 30/40 ish feet tall.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

where are you

how big is the lot ..

what kind of beds are you thinking about.. you wont want to rototill nor heap a lot of soil there.. or YOU will kill them ...

too bad its a monoculture ...

use pruning sears.. rather than ripping pieces off ... and if you can.. go back on clean cut the rip ... it will heal easier ....

if a large property.. why not put in a second row of diverse plants.. planning for the future ...

as trees.. and presuming future health.. they do not have a finite life... so i dont understand your thinking.. that they are past their prime in some way ... it looks like they just got going.. in tree years ...

all that.. and it doesnt matter what the plant is ... its something i dont grow in MI ....

more info please

ken

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Looks like a type of cedar to me. I did a search and, while I can't find the exact species, they seem to have a lifespan of 100-200 years. Eastern red cedars can live to be over 800 years. I don't think you'll need to worry about replanting it!

I like the idea of planting in front of it, as they will be a nice windbreak, noise buffer, and provide privacy.

The Wiki page has a lot of information on this tree too...
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: look at Eastern Red Cedar on this page

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Chamaecyparis of some sort. And indeed, they are the very picture of vitality. If it's screening you want, you have it already. And sure, varied plantings are nice and have the attendant benefit of resilience should some disease or insect take out one of the types contained therein. But aesthetically speaking, a solid row of one thing is darn near perfect, depending on what effect you're after, of course. I like those things!

+oM

• pineresin
    9 years ago

Lawson's Cypress Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

Watch out for their susceptibility to Phytophthora root rot; if they can escape that they are otherwise long-lived though.

Resin

• smack17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I live in zone 5/6 ish in British Columbia, Canada. The lot is a triangle shaped quarter acre with this being the longest side (roughly 260 feet). My question was based on the other day someone mentioning to me that I'd probably want to take them out and start over again as they don't live forever and will need to be replaced soon anyways. Just wanted to see if there was any validity to their comment which it sounds like there isn't. Thanks for the input.