Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarpe

picea abies with fastigiated branches

jarpe
10 years ago

I have been driving past this tree for years. Somehow it is just below the thin line that triggers the propagating instinct.I see however that there is some speciality value that separates it from the most. What do you all think about the branchangle, is this tree marginal enough to deserve to be called speciality form?

Comments (11)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I would say definitely not.

Regards,

Dax

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Dax, for giving me peace with this one.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

For me it's a yes, this specimen is much more dense then the normal species.
    it's the upper part of this tree you've to look at.
    This is showing us a fastigiate character which will change slowely at an later age.

Another example with the same characteristic is Pinus strobus 'Fastigiata', which also loose it's density at a later age...

Jari, I always say "you'll never know if you don't try".
    We can try grafting a few, after two years we can tell.
    O boy, I guess I've to arrange some extra understock ;0)

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

For comparison, below is a large P strobus 'Fastigiata' (as coniferjoy mentioned) in the VA state arb:

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin, should the scions be taken from upper part of the tree for it seems to be most dense. I have on the other hand read about research that shows how lowest third of the tree is best when rooting scions becauce of its `juvenilityô. Do you know if there is any difference when grafting?

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another tree that made me uncertain about whether itôs worthy of propagating or not. But then luckily the most perfect fastigiated pinetree came to my kowledge and i forgot this one. Good example though that there are lots of these closecall- cases that haunt you like irritating itch in the back of your mind.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jari, such an old tree doesn't have a juvenile part at all.
    Theoretical seen it shouldn't matter from which part of the tree you take scions for propagation, because it's dna is the same all over it.
    But as a nurseryman I prefer always scions from it's upper part because there the scions are which are most fresh and full of energy.

I see a simularity in both specimens you're showing us.
    So to see the first one looks much older then the second one.
    Both are interesting for propagation and it would be best to plant them out in the nursery field for comparison.
    The whole investigation will take at least five years before we can say if they're worthy for furthur production.
    I'm in for this adventure, how about you?

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Edwin, I took some material from the second one last winter by using shotgun, wich is only possible instrument in these hights. Unfortunately i seem to have failed to propagate it due to my still inadequate skills in grafting.

Results from the study made by Forest survey institute of Finland suggest that lower branches when burried in ground grow roots more effectively than upper branches. Hypotesis is that top of the tree would have optained the role of reproduction and has less to worry about root control. On the other hand it could be assumed that upper part has stronger instinct for creating the leader and as you said there is no doubt more lifeforse in newest part of the tree. So i absolutely believe it now as a fact that when it comes to propagating by grafting we must reach up for the top.
    Do you propagate plants at your nursery by rooting scions?
    One nursery near me tried this method with good results with some speciments as scions available were too thin to connect to rootstock. Especially columnar spruces with vertical angle provide very few thick enough scions for grafting. Success was about 50%, and it demands very little work. Then again you much wait for years longer to get plant big enough to sell.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This tree at Sievi is perfect examble. Branches are so thin that rooting might be the best option.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jari, I don't prefer to root Picea tree forms.
    This is because it will take to long before you get a nice sized tree.

The first two ones at your pics are fastigiate forms, the last one ('Sievi Column') is a columnar form.

• sluice
    10 years ago

Looks interesting. I also like the Sievi spruce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sievi spruce