Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bob's Honey Pot

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:50

I originally took this pic for the Rozanne but this Picea abies 'Honey Pot' is looking just as good.

One of the best conifers out there. Keeps a nice golden color that doesn't burn in 8 hours of sun here at the peak of the season.

photo photo-10.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bob's Honey Pot

whaas, that's real nice.
is that from fincham ?
what 10 yr size
ron

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:30

Yep, he's the one. I still think Gold Drift and the seedlings will be a legacy that will be left for generations to come.

I'm guessing 4' x 4' in 10 years. Color is better in more humid areas from what I understand.

Now I have several habits and sizes to give Skylands a run for the money. Don't have to shade cloth these bad boys.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 0:11

Naming it 'Honey Pot' instead of 'Honey Bucket' was wise.

The geranium cultivar is actually 'Gerwat', with Rozanne being a trademark used to sell 'Gerwat'.

o

hey killer.. even thought there isnt a scale there....

you could look at leader and side shoot growth and estimate size in 10 years ...

i figure i am seeing 5 to 7 inches ... going large.. 70 inches or so ... now if i could only divide by 12 ... i would be all set

subject to will going out there and measuring ...

and presuming its been in the ground a year or two.. and rather established ... annual growth could go up a bit if its not ....

ken

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 8:53

Glad they used Rozanne as the tradename as thats a terrible cutlivar name. I remember another look alike Jolly Bee that I believe as since been deemed the same cultivar.

Ken, I averaged the growth rate to be 4". With so much rain in June the growth rate is on the high side this year. All my (non pot bound) established cultivars had similar results.

o

ken, I do know that, ever since Rich Eyre BARKED that at me years ago when I was eyeing burkes red. it's just easier being lazy and ask.
Who else has Gold Drift seedlings ? I recall there being 5
ron
Who have other

This post was edited by plantkiller.il.5 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:24

o

Nice!

o

Here is the original about 12 years old. The one to the left is 8 years old and a graft. The color would be better but they spend part of the day shaded.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 0:18

Maybe call the next one 'Tiddlywinks'.

'Jolly Bee' was better (bigger, bluer flower and more compact habit) than 'Gerwat' but Blooms went after the introducer and he let them have their way. The basis for their claim was that the two were almost genetically identical.

So are chimps and humans.

Memorable selling names and jawbreaker cultivar names are common practice now among commercial growers that are trying to protect profits from new introductions. Often the cultivar names are actually informative combination words, if you know what each syllable stands for. Hence all the Monrovia cultivars with the prefix 'Mon' and the Lake County Nursery plants with 'Zam' (for Zampini, the owner) as part of the cultivar name.

o

I have Summer Daze and really like its form. In fact, I have located it near my Skylands. My only downer so far with it is unlike Skylands, it definately is losing its golden color in my mostly shady location. But I have no choice in Oklahoma. It would burn for sure here under our extended 100 degree + sunny daze. :-)

mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here