Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will pine grow new leader

Posted by texjagman 7A (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 15:57

A friend of mine has a gorgeous 4' Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost' that used to be about 6-7'. The top got broke off in a bad storm. Other than being topped off it still looks really good.

My question is will this pine send up a new leader? Unlike a lot of other varietals, I see a lot of older pines around here that get tops broke off and they never seem to send up a new leader.

So what should I tell him?

mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will pine grow new leader

tell him it will take a few years .. they are trees after all .. they work on their own time frame ....

with a pic we might be able to guide him into encouraging a certain one to start the process ...

ken

o
RE: Will pine grow new leader

Generally they do. I saw a pine (Loblolly?)in a cut-over forest that was probably 4" in diameter and 12' or so high with one lone lateral branch extending out several feet. The rest of the tree was broke off, probably in the cut-over several years ago. The end of that one long branch, you guessed it, has curved upwards about 2-3' making the new top for that ungainly broken off tree. Will get picture of it next time I'm over there and post it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here