Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Show us your weepers!

greenhaven
11 years ago

On behalf of alley_cat I am requesting a thread that not only gives visual to your weepers, but info about footprint, siting, growth-rate, etc.

I hope you don't mind, alley_cat...I think that other thread will not garner the specific attention you wish, and it is a great idea!

Wish I had some to start things off...well, I guess I can repost a photo of a P. engelmanni 'Bush's Lace' that I planted for a client and have on my wishlist. Growth rate? Dunno. My impression from the grower is that it tends to be more narrow in habit. I have given it a 15-foot space to grow into:

Comments (32)

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

I also read it and thought, better to title something like Greenhaven as done above. I can add some shots this afternoon as it's grey and cool and I am catching up on a lot of work and photo databasing.

Most of these are group-plantings and if individual shots are requested, I can provide any people would like to see.

Naturally, many of my weepers are relatively small still, being 5-10 years old and less then four years in the ground in most cases.

Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade' - A strongly growing, upright-weeper, ala Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'. Interesting the main leader this year hasn't grown much but the sides have. To be continued!

Pseudotsuga menziesii [Yang's Monster Weeper] - Still not introduced, this seedling selected about 15 years ago by a friend of mine grows *incredibly* fast, in all directions but up. As you can see here, the multiple leaders twist and wind all over the place and grow at 2-3' a year. Amazingly this plant has only been in the ground 15 months.

The 'other leaders'.

Juniperus communis 'Horstmann'. A fast growing, somewhat weeping cultivar I staked for some height.

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum' - One of the most interestingly weeping conifers you can possible grow. In old age no two are alike and all are amazingly animal like.

Pseudotsuga menziesii [Yang's Blue Weeper] - Another seedling selection, extremely dense, strongly weeping and teal-blue. Not nearly as fast as the monster above though.

18" or so leader growth.

A group planting. Picea abies 'Pendula', Picea pungens 'The Blues', Picea abies 'Gold Drift', Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns(doing naughty things), Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace', Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Fogy', Cedrus deodara 'Divinely Blue' and Picea glauca 'Pendula' all present. I love the chaos, sorry for those who'd like to see a dozen feet of mulch surrounding each specimen.

Picea pungens 'The Blues'

-Will

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will, I love the chaos, too! I am diggin' on that J. communis 'Horstmann'

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

Holy cow! That Yang's Monster is so schizophrenic! I'm giving him some music! I'm so excited to watch this post develop. I need narrow weepers!!!

My Picea pungens 'Glauca Slenderina' which I think is the same as The Blues... still a baby.

The King of all weepers (imho), Picea abies 'Pendula'... he's royalty! This one's been in the ground for 6 years and he is still politely staying in his two-foot space like a giant chessman!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yang Monster Music

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Heres my little Picea glauca 'pendula'. Gonna ride out the rest of the summer potted-up. Im sure im gonna pick up 'The Blues' one of theses days...that ones been on my mind for quite some time.
    Awesome fotos.....i hope they keep rollin in!
    AL

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Great plant Fiddlegal, though it's Picea *glauca* 'Pendula' unless my eyes wholy deceive me.

Several weepers occupy this rock wall. Amongst them are Cedrus deodara 'Divinely Blue', Pinus strobus 'Pendula', Picea abies 'Pendula'(though possibly another cultivar), Cedrus deodara 'Bergmann's Gold Prostrate', Picea pungens 'Procumbens(which was staked) and Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, you're right, Ellen's weeping spruce is a Picea glauca 'Pendula'.
    Your weeping Norway spruce is a Picea abies 'Cobra'.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Agree with all of that, and I am somewhat envious of your 'Cobra', Will. That cultivar has fascinated me for quite some time.

Also, what is the longer-needled pine on the left in your second-to-last picture in your post from the 18th?

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Barabits Requiem' (a Hungarian selection, I believe) The leader died in a harsh winter a couple years ago, but it seems to be straightening up on its own.
    {{gwi:609905}}

-Sam

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loving them all!!! I thought I didn't like 'Cobra' but I really, really do! I wish we could grow the Cedrus' but I will be content to ogle everyone else's.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loving them all!!! I thought I didn't like 'Cobra' but I really, really do! I wish we could grow the Cedrus' but I will be content to ogle everyone else's.

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

Ack! Picea GLAUCA 'Pendula'! I knew that. Too much obsessing on why there is Abies... and Picea abies... and Tsuga... and Pseudotsuga... and why Firs are members of the Pine family... and why cedars are not members of the Cedrus family... It isn't fair!
    Kindergarteners should never go out to play with the big boys!

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Picea abies 'Cobra' can mis-behave. I have seen some wild ones. When I saw this one, left of center, it appeared to be containable. So far I was right.

D

{{gwi:639258}}

Psedudotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace' center.

Picea abies 'Frohburg' front center.

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Closer up.

Picea abies 'Corba' - Thank you Edwin for the ID, as usual.
    {{gwi:607417}}

Picea abies 'Pendula' A classic, I'll try and get this one over twenty feet tall before I let it go.
    {{gwi:607418}}

'Gold Drift' - Strongly weeping and strongly beautiful.
    {{gwi:607425}}

Cedrus deodara 'Emerald Falls' - A monster super-fast growing, dark green needled cedar. Four years in the ground and easily ten feet+ new growth in those 3+ years.

Cedrus deodara 'Raywood's Contorted' - A Dr. Seuss plant for sure.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, you're welcome, but it is 'Cobra' instead of 'Corba'... ;0)

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Ahh for crying out loud, now I get the name corrected to me and I make a typo.

Picea abies 'Cobra'
    'COBRA'
    'COBRA'! :)

Thanks Edwin.

-Will

• Mike Larkin
    11 years ago

Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' - In this location about 22 years - Photo taken in 2007, it has grown a little since then.

{{gwi:774125}}

Another favorite - From the Oregon Garden Picea glauca Pendula, mine does not look this good!
    {{gwi:774127}}

Find out more ---- http://www.conifersociety.org/

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Design Ideas

• Mike Larkin
    11 years ago

A more current photo of my Cedrus

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Mike, that's a very nice Cedrus!
    How old is it now and how big was it when you planted it?

• Cher
    11 years ago

Mike you win the prize. That is one serious looking Cedrus. I would have loved hiding under there when I was a kid. :)
    Cher

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Wow, that is a beast. Very nice plantman.

Dax

• botann
    11 years ago

Tsuga canadensis, 'Sargent's Weeping'.
    Correction, if needed, appreciated.
    Mike

{{gwi:774129}}

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I was quite mesmerized by this 'Bush' Lace' at the Chicago Botnaic Gardens.

{{gwi:711159}}

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That Bush's Lace is amazing, and the companions really all make each other pop.

Plantman, I am with the others: that Cedrus makes me speechless! Stunning!

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I didn't catch that Cedrus...my little one sure would have a blast weaving in and out of that living maze.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Mike, Tsuga canadensis, 'Sargent's Weeping' is a synonym for Tsuga canadensis 'Pendula'...

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

But was 'Pendula' found within the period in which it was legal to Latinize cultivar names?
    Or is 'Sargent's Weeping' truly the appropriate name?

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

This is because the commercial name is "Sargent's Weeping Hemlock".
    'Pendula' doesn't say nothing to a lot of people...

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

a few other choice selections from Glacier's End.

Cedrus libani 'Beacon Hill.' Its provenance is questionable. There's a Beacon Hill Park in Victoria, BC which is perhaps where the plant was found. If so, we can also infer that Gordon Bentham was the guy who found it. Puchased from Coenosium Gardens long ago.
    {{gwi:663044}}

Sequoia sempervirens 'Mt. Loma Prieta Spike.' A strict weeping Coast Redwood. This is an Buchholz & Buchholz product.

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Imbricata Pendula.' Another Buchholz product. This is grafted onto Buchholz's own phytophthora-resistant understock, which explains why I have such a healthy specimen in Western Washington.

Yes, there is a tree in there.

Here's one of my Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns.' For now just try to concentrate on the eccentric behavior on the leader. The bald spot in the middle is from some buck rubbing last fall. This fall he goes behind a fence and the hole should be gone in a season or two.

~Dave

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Interesting selections and nice pictures!
    Richard

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That Bush's Lace is fine.

Dave, like Sequoia sempervirens 'Mt. Loma Prieta Spike', and your crocosmia in front of, looks mighty fine itself.

Dax

• botann
    11 years ago

Dave, I see you have some Crocosmia, 'Lucifer' and some Phlomis. I have those also. Phlomis isn't very common as far as I know.
    Here is some Phlomis in front of a Sequoiadendron I planted over 30 years ago.
    {{gwi:774142}}

In keeping with the 'Weeping' theme, here's one of my weeping Sequoiadendrons called 'Pendula' that died from a Woodpecker commonly known as a Sapsucker. I have other words for them, but really can't put them on this forum. They eventually killed the Cedrus behind it. Now you can understand why I can't. Heck, they killed another one I had, plus they have weakened my oldest at about 40 years, and it's slowly dying. Damn near as bad as the drought in the midwest!
    Mike
    {{gwi:774144}}

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

plantman56 z6 PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 6:51

plantman, that Cedrus is absolutely stunning...

• Mike Larkin
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay -
    I purchased that Cedrus about 22 years ago. I believe was in a 10gal pot, about 4-5ft high, with one branch bending. To create the planting site, I had a load of soil delivered to create a large mounded bed. So it is growing in great conditions. Each year I prop a branch or two with a 2x2 for support. Right now it is starting to move into my neighbors yard and I need to carefully prune and redirect .

Thanks all -

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA