Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Western Region Conifer lovers

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 16:51

For any of you in the Western states, we have just set up a Facebook page for the American Conifer Society Western Region (link below). Please go to it and 'like' the page - we will be posting events, photos and other information. Our Western Regional Conference is in October and there is information and 'teasers' up on that already.
Thanks!
Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS Western Region Facebook page

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Western Region Conifer lovers

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 6:37

Great job.

You people live in conifer heaven.

Can we in the central region share some heat and drought with you?

We don't want you to feel like you have been left out.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

o

We do feel for you! Ugh...it just seems like it doesn't relent. In Sonoma County, CA, we hit 94 each of the last two days but it cools to 60 or slightly below at night and the humidity is about 15% so it is nowhere near the same thing as you all are enduring. Oregon and Washington are cooler still (and they get something approaching real winter). The PNW really does seem like conifer heaven. Try to stay cool and we will do a rain dance for you.
Sara

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 13:05

We had some more rain last night. It's almost 10am and the temperature is a cool 53 F. That's even below normal for us.
It has been in the 70's during the day and 50's at night with a lot of overcast skies. Plants are growing very fast with no supplemental watering in my garden. Real good growing and working weather! Conifer heaven for the most part. Some conifers are growing so fast I'm getting worried they won't be able to handle the snow and ice load this upcoming winter.
Here's a Calocedrus decurrens branch that broke a few days ago. Time for a ladder and pole pruner. Incense Cedars need a harsher climate and worse soil than I have to offer. I've seen them growing side by side with Sagebrush in south central Oregon.
Mike
Calocedrus decurrans

Purple Smoke Bush

o

Nice shots, Mike. I planted a Calocedrus this year - I'll try to give it as much adversity as I can! Love your Mahonia fruit and Cotinus leaves in amongst the green.
Are you coming to the ACS Western Regional Conference down here in Oct? We'll show you a great time and lots of interesting conifers.
Sara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here