Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

Thuja occidentalis 'Konfetti'

moliep
9 years ago

Has anyone grown this variety? We planted it two years ago. It's in the wrong place and is getting sparse and browned. We'll transplant it to another area but would like advice
about its eventual growth and its happiest location.

We purchased ours from a local nursery but they did not have longtime experience with this variety.

Here are some pics to show its sad state.... the first is a side view

Here it is from the front, right side

Thanks for any help,
Molie

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how much actual sun does it get ...

google images shows it at at least 6 feet.. and nearing 3 feet wide ... peruse such.. when finding new location ..

arbs do best in near full sun ...

arbs and junipers with white flecks ... Can have the white burned off in intense summer heat ... and in winter ... depending how bad that is ... from me in MI anyway ... [and as young not quite established plants]

a perfect spot MIGHT give a LITTLE shade at the high heat of the day ...

bottom grow looks a little sparse ... frankly.. when its 6 feet tall.. that isnt going to matter... regardless of what it looks like right now ...

the top growth looks like it trying to be vigorous ...

shall we presume you had a tough winter like most the rest of us ... was there snow cover.. and how might that relate to the stunted low growth????

i see your other conifers there.. so i am guessing you know how to water and plant ... i would move it... around the first of sept or so ...

ken

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I'll bet it's sparse because it didn't get enough sun. That cultivar I haven't seen for a decade. Stanley & Sons used to offer it. Definitely agree with Ken that it's not in the right place for long-term.

Dax

• moliep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ken and Dax. I will definitely google and also take a long look at our yard over this summer before moving 'Konfetti.'

I'm thinking the back yard ... it gets great western sun plus also has an irrigation system. We have several gardens there and two trees for shade .... a 20+ Cully birch nearer the end and an 8' Cinnamon bark maple up at the top of the lawn .... but that won't give much shade for years.

Ken, one of your comments sent up a flag. We live along a river not far from LI Sound. Fierce winter come upriver and winter snow cover is so-so along our coastal area. I'm guessing we could shield this 'Konfetti' with burlap like we did for two conifers that we planted several years ago in the back?

Growing successfully in the back gardens are ...
    Pinus sylvestris 'Inverleith' which stands up well to those winds ..... Chamaecyparis obtuse 'Special Variegated' tethered to an arched support.... a prostrate European Larch... and two varieties of dwarf, spreading Juniper.

We're not worried about 'Konfetti's eventual height....we're both retired. In 20 years I probably won't remember my own name let alone own these gardens. (Shady Pines is in my future)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont go for burlapping plants... they are what they are.. and when they get really ugly.. then can go ...

but that is your choice ...

all the burlap does.. is make me worry about it all winter long.. but if its not there.. i dont give it a thought until the next spring ... and then complain about the result.. lol ...

ken

• moliep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken... here's a clarification of what we did with our two conifers. The Pinus S. I. (Sylvester to us) was planted near the end of our long garden not far from the river's edge. My DH used some stakes to set up a windbreak 3/4s of the way up and along one side of him. The same thing was done with the C. 'Special Variegated' .... just a low buffer on the windward side. We did this only for the first winter. Then both were on their own.

Sylvester did really well. He likes the wind. Here he is two years later .... feeling mighty festive.

'Konfetti' is starting out ugly but I'm too cheap to replace him. Also feeling a bit guilty because I put it in the wrong place.

Okay....I admit it.... I'm a coddler.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting