Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting tops off Pyramidal Arborvitae, Opinions?

Posted by ross09 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 17:23

Hi, I'm looking for opinions.I have a row of aproximately 25 Pyramidal Arborvitae growing very close to the side of my house. They are 20'-25' tall and are right up against the siding, are tight against the rain gutters and hanging over the roof. The branches fill my gutters and also I'm afraid the roof will be damaged because they limit air circulation and the roof stays wet longer. I'd like to cut the tops off (aproximately 8-9 ft) and bring them down below the gutters. This would resolve the roof and gutter problem, but I'm concerned how they would look after being topped so drastically. It's really ashame because they are so healthy and beautiful, but I have no choice. Please let me know your opinion on this and if this makes sense. The only other alternative would be to remove them completely and I would really hate to do that. thank you for your help. mross

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting tops off Pyramidal Arborvitae, Opinions?

you have 25.. do one.. and see what happens ...

undoubtedly.. it will reform a new leader.. or three.. and go back to height within a few years .. since there is no root disturbance...

they were improperly planted in the wrong spot....

they have to go.. period ...

if it were me.. i would think about taking every other one out.. and replanting new ones.. out 5 feet or so ... and since you really wont be planting anything else that close to the house.. i would just cut the trunk flush ... and forget about the roots ... they will rot in time ...

and when the new ones start growing.. remove the other ones..

this will leave some privacy.. if that is the issue... while you start some new privacy .... etc ...

you have trees that can easily go to 50 feet or more... planted ON YOUR HOUSE... i will blame the prior owner.. lol ...

a picture would sure help us to understand what you are dealing with.. and where you might go with this .... because i am not sure that 25 new ones.. is worth the cost .... you do have so many other options in life ...

good luck

ken

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 11:52

If you are going to lop off 8'-9' you are going to spoil it. Better to remove the entire tree instead. It will not come back well from such severe cutting back.

o

another thought.. how do you take 17 feet off a 25 foot tree.. at 8 feet...

WITHOUT KILLING YOURSELF????

how do you cut off 17 feet while standing on a ladder???

and if you are going to pay someone to do it.. have them just cut them off at ground level.. and drag the whole thing out of there ...

no project is worth severe bodily harm ...

ken

o

They're too close to the house. No way!! Time to go...

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here