Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Pendula Bruns?

ademink
10 years ago

found this at a local nursery just marked "Weeping Serbian Spruce" but I took a wild guess that it is actually pendula Bruns. What do you think?

Comments (8)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It's not a 'Pendula Bruns', it's one of the U.S. forms probably 'Gotteli Weeping' which isn't much differend from it's species at a later age...

The true 'Pendula Bruns' is much more slender.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Plant it. It's a cool conifer.

Give it a little room.

Dave

{{gwi:775128}}

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave - will mine look like yours? It's gorgeous! How wide is the base of that one?

What puzzles me is that others that are named 'Gotelli Weeping' have branches that grow curved much more upright.

The thing that made me HAVE to have this were the almost black cones!!

This post was edited by ademink on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 22:58

• texjagman
    10 years ago

I would also say Gotelli's Weeping or even Westerstead until you showed the close-up underneath with upturned ends. That says to me it could also be Berliner's Weeping and more might upturn once it is healthy in the ground.

Good looking tree though.......

mark

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, looks like I win with any of those varieties. Do they all have cones that color?

Berliner's *does* look a lot like this one!

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do i need to stake the top to straighten it out or will it straighten on its own (or is it leaning part of its "charm"? lol)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont know how you plant it.. then stake it high with force.. and not pull it over ... you would need one stake to hold the tree on one side.. and a taller stake on the other.. to pull up the leader ....

soooo.. buy this one ... and join the club: weirder the better..

or buy one with a straight leader ...

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

ademink, to get back to your question.

I originally purchased this cultivar under the name 'Pendula' in the late 90's

A Bob Fincham quote: "Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' has been growing under the name 'Pendula' at the National Arboretum for many years. Sue Martin, Curator of the Gotelli Dwarf Conifer Collection, agreed to naming the plant due to its exceptional character. Watnong Nursery used to offer this selection for sale, and anyone who purchased 'Pendula' from Don and Hazel has this cultivar. I can't remember the grower/seller but the 'Pendula' I remember and it carried that name in my garden up till a few years ago when Edwin advised me to change it to 'Gotelli Weeping'. Bob has a photo of the original plant on his web site. See link.

'Gotelli's Weeping' is a slow grower. Mine about 18-20 years old. 12' high and 7-8 ft. wide tip to tip at base. To add to that mine was transplanted once so that retarded its growth for about 3 years.

Till it sorts itself out it tends to decide if it wants a leader or not. I have had to train one several times. For 6 years now it puts up its own. Personally I would tie a small stake at the top to move back to vertical growth since this is a formal specimen that looks its best in balanced growth.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Link