Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Sourcing Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'

unprofessional
10 years ago

Would like to try this one (yes, I know it's a risk), but I'm interested in the large upright one, as seen on Iseli's website, not Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'. Anybody have a source?

ps. Few pick-ups today. Pinus cembra 'Algonquin Pillar', Thuja plicata 'Cuprea', and Picea omorika 'Minima.'

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by unprofessional on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 7:44

Comments (15)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Not sure if this is the one your looking for. I have never bought from this nursery, but know others have

Here is a link that might be useful: Kigi Nursery - Cedrus libani ' Glauca Pendula '

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

At least two or three cultivars have been grown under the name, all of them forms of Cedrus deodara. The tall open scarecrow habit one positively shouts it belongs to that species when you see a developed example up close. So if you are thinking you will get the hardiness of the more hardy forms of C. libani from it - perhaps not.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Yep, the Kigi Nursery shows the Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula', not the Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'!
    It's time that somebody is going to tell them that they're offering the wrong one under this name!!!
    From own experiences that "somebody" has to be an American, not somebody from abroad...

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there a true Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula', Edwin?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The Iseli "scare crow" one isn't the true one either.
    This shows that not only their Picea sitchensis 'Bentham's Sunlight' isn't true to it's name!

Jon, we discussed the differences here a while ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: differences

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, what's the name of the one I like?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Any forms that may have originally been put on the market under the wrong species name by the introducing party will not have a correct cultivar name - until somebody replaces it with one that is acceptable.

Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees (Ten Speed, Portland, 1996) says there is no plant entitled to the name C. libani 'Glauca Pendula' - but C. atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' and C. deodara 'Repandens' have been sold as such. He also says a dwarf etc. C. deodara was being sold under the name on this continent by 1991.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jon, the one you like is the Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'...the "scare crow" one.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Abundant support for that combination doesn't exactly jump off the screen - just taking a quick pass using one engine there is one page with photos of an orthodox tree not of the scarecrow type that somebody has put up using the name. Do you have background information, such as origin of cultivar, first valid publication etc.? If not plant might as well be called Cedrus deodara 'Libani Pendula', as that at least connects it to the mistaken names used in commerce (C. libani 'Glauca Pendula', C. libani 'Pendula') - and that name has been used in print for the tree already.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Bboy get lost with your Cedrus deodara 'Libani Pendula', there is no such thing!!!

This would be the same as Pinus sylvestris 'Strobus Pendula', oh man you're such a joke mentioning things like that...

You still don't know the differences between Cedrus libani and Cedrus deodara, don't you?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

You again show this unpleasant tendency to make aggressive comments to other posters based on apparently not understanding what their exact point was.

Angry people marginalize themselves with their anger.

Instead of calling me names you could have provided evidence for the validity of Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'. Diversion is not an argument.

I'd also be interested to know what evidence you have for the man who named 'Bentham's Sunlight' being mistaken in certifying that the erect-growing Iseli propagations are in fact true-to-name. But maybe you have already provided your argument for this, I don't remember.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Ron, I'm not agressive, I'm straight to the point, which is a differend kind of thing.
    Two species names in one conifer is never possible, you should know that.
    Also Cedrus deodara are drooping ot the end of their branches, Cedrus libani are straight, also their needles are differend from eachother.
    These are the evidences, do you need some more?
    I hope you learned something from me today ;0)

About the 'Bentham's Sunlight' thing you can watch the last comments at the topic of it...it's spring colour is the key.

Have a nice day!

• Dufusyte
    10 years ago

Here is a source of something.

Here is a link that might be useful: something being sold as: Cedrus libani âGlauca Pendulaâ

• gamekeeper
    10 years ago

Got a large one from Mr.Greer at Greer Gardens this spring it is doing well.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dufusyte, also your link doesn't show the true Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'.
    This is also a Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'...

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!