Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarpe

Field grafting gold conifer into artificial shade

jarpe
10 years ago

This seems to work out well. Gonna use it more in future.

Comments (10)

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

closeup

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

new growth. Cultivar is called `Kuhmoisten kultaô original tree is from Kuhmoinen, Finland.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Original tree

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Good color. Whatever works for you is best! ;)

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jari, It will work for sure, but how will your grafted tree look like in the future?

Did you put a plastic bag around the graft at first to create a moisty micro climate?

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin,I didnôt use any bagging. But i bet it would have given better result. That method was revealed to me on this forum just resently. Next time i definitely bag fieldgrafted scions. You can see how scions have struggled to keep alive. Main shoot is lost in both scions becauce of drying out. Only slower, secondary shoots have developed. I think main bud has more dynamic start and it uses up all the resourses faster when circulation is week and not any protective microclimate.

It is true that this will not be a beauty for lower layer will be visible for decades but it might be just perfect manufactureplant for grafting material. When existing rootpower is directed right, i hope it gives scions good growth and they can be harvested for new grafts maby after 3 years time. And more i cut it, more shoots will appear for later use.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

What time of year did you graft them?

tj

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tsugajungie, i grafted them in 1.of may. Also golden pinetree grafted in same day gave good result. This rootstock was growing in natural afternoon shade. After scion had gained some full developed new foliage, i cut upper rootsock, just leaving enough to protect from future snow pressure.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I aslo tried `field graft transportô this year. I believe that seedling with roots in real ground has very best power to give life to attached scion, so i grafted some scions in rootstocks growing in nearby forest. After some new growth i digged them up with rootball as big as i could get. This method can allso be used if you run out of rootstocks at the time you have some good scionwood material available. For me it allso seemed to work relatively well. 3 of 5 grafts started to grow nicely. Maby i should have left them in original surroundings for another year to get stronger for transport, but i was concearned about interference.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Thank you, Jarpe. I have some seedling Picea abies in the ground that I'm toying with the idea of trying this on.

tj