Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horstmann's Silberlocke-grafted or seedling

Posted by rabbit2348 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 18:06

I've been researching Abies Koreana Horstmann's Silberlocke and am confused as to whether this is grown from a seedling, grafted or grown both ways. I see that some nurseries say "grafted." Does it make a difference? Should I be asking what it is grafted onto?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horstmann's Silberlocke-grafted or seedling

first.. nomenclature.. a seedlings is NOT HS ... that would NOT be a proper name for such.. as they do NOT come true from seed ...

a grafted plant... one would presume.. that the scion is from HS ... and if so.. it is a true clone of such ... it is HS ...

the problem is... that seedlings.. LOOK like HS ... they are pretty darn close... but as they mature... they can derivative from the classic ...

so in the way back machine ... someone was selling seedlings under the cultivar name ... and so the confusion started ...

frankly.. most of us.. could not tell them apart ... seedlings vs HS vs the other similar named varieties ['silver show', if memory serves] ...

all of them are great plants.. if zone appropriate ... [and do figure out.. even if zone is proper .. whether you can grow it -- ask if you dont know what this means]

for the sake of knowledge.. your research is brilliant... but personally.. i wouldnt get too wound up in it ....

welcome to GW and this forum ... we need some new recruits.... i will do all in my power to enable you... lol

ken

ps: the cones on these plant are magnificent ... do not fore go this plant for a name problem ...

o

"Does it make a difference? Should I be asking what it is grafted onto?"
Not unless you live in a marginally difficult place for it to grow where the understock would make a difference. You don't list a Zone or location so the experts here (Not me ) would have a hard time giving you pertinent answers as to whether or not it would apply in your case.
All I know, mine is doing fine and I don't know what it's grafted on.
Mike
 photo IMG_1847.jpg

o

Thanks Mike and Ken. I realized after posting that I shouldn't have referred to it as a seedling as one of the nurseries had both a grafted one and one from a "rooted cutting." Sounds like as long as I go to a reputable nursery, I should be okay. I'm zone 5. Thanks for the help! Brenna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here