Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harv2016

My first broom!

harv2016
10 years ago

I enjoy seeing all the brooms every one finds and always have my eye out for one. My wife and I were riding 4 wheeler around the area on gravel roads just looking at the corn, something us former farm boys do. Came on this cemetary and my dear wife said, " Look whats wrong with that tree". Well I'll be a broom. I'll be taking scion wood from it this winter and sending it to Bob F. for grafting. I included a pic of the needles and correct me if I'm wrong, Picea glauca?

Comments (11)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

That's a very nice giant Picea glauca broom!

It remembers me to the Picea glauca 'Burkwich' found by Greg Williams from Vermont.
    He mentioned that the size of that broom was as big as a Volkswagon...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Very nice Harv. Congrats. It took me forever to find my first broom. Chub Harper and his friends already scoured all my hunting grounds.

Dax

• ogcon
    10 years ago

It seems like after you get that first one more just keep showing up.Good luck and congradulations!Doug

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

I'll bet you were floored when you saw that big-un up there!
    Time to start thinking of a good name.
    congrats!
    Al

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

My wife and I were riding 4 wheeler around the area on gravel roads just looking at the corn, something us former farm boys do.

==>> OK .. that cracked me up ...

with the inches and inches of rain in the last few weeks... lenawee county corn is head high on the 4th of july ... what happened to that whole knee high stuff???

second pic.. does that headstone say fletcher... ???

congrats

ken

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our corn is about the same Ken. With the genetics in todays corn I think the whole knee high thing is a thing of the past. You got me wondering on the headstone so I enlarged the photo says "Pletcher", make a good name for the broom. Picea gluaca 'pletcher'. Least I guess a person can do for the person who's been under that broom this long

• sluice
    10 years ago

Great find!

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

Harv, thats a nice broom! And your wife is pointing them out for you,you are a lucky man. My wife is my broom hunting good luck charm for me,but never points them out.How do I get her to do this? LOL! Best wishes with the graftings!

Rob

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

A very nice find, Harv. Looks to be a winner.

Is it the angle or is there a headstone at the base of the tree?

tj

• gardener365
    10 years ago

'Harvey's Wallbanger' or 'Harv's Wallbanger' would be another good name.

Cheers ;)

Dax

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all, I never noticed that by the tree. Looks like a grave marker, I'll have to check next time I go there.