Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cryptomeria in zone 5a

Posted by hostagreencare 5a ME (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 18:29

Is anyone growing this plant in this zone? I have a cryptomeria japonica elegans i over wintered last year. What are the chances of getting it to survive. Iseli list this plant as a zone 7.cryptomeria japonica (elegans)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cryptomeria in zone 5a

low to nil in my experience ....

all depending on your micro climate...

and perhaps.. if and when it outgrows snow cover .... that is when the real test will come ...

by i like your spirit about trying to bend the laws of nature.. been there .. done that.. it took 3 years for it to get so ugly.. i put it out of my misery ... lol

ken

o

Thanks Ken it did take ninteen below but it was well insulated buy snow. Im going to see if i can keep it small with pruning.

o

The plant at the pic isn't a Cryptomeria jap. 'Elegans' for sure, It's a Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Top Point'...
It's a juvenile form which won't survive your winter.

o

Yes, I agree with Edwin.

Wolfgang

o

This plant came unnamed in a batch of bonsi starters. The company said it was a cryptomeria but didnt know the variety. I also have top point is hardy here they are doing well. Chamaecyparis thyoides (top point)

o
re:cryptomeria

Thanks guys thats to funny ive never seen a cryptomeria other than the computer so no refrence to go by. The top points look terrible in the spring but once the new growth starts they look fine.

o

It's not a Cryptomeria either, it's a Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Andelyensis'...

o

i was wondering.. but i am not ID 'spert' ...

as to top point.. it will tickle your fancy for a number of years.. and then die.. period .... there is nothing you will be able to do about it ... dave will support me on that ...

otherwise.. thyoides are near bullet proof in my z5a .... there are a few real nice blue ones .... and a variegated one that burns off all the white but keeps chugging back ever spring ..

why all the rock in your garden.. are you raising the beds over clay.. or bedrock??? or just cause you like hauling stone around the yard.. lol ..

as you can tell.. we enjoy newbies coming to GW ...

so .. are you a bonsai freak?? .. post any pix of those????

i think you finally hit a return/enter on this post.. lol .. congrats

ken

o

I am a rock a holic im always picking up rocks somewhere for future projects. I work for a garden center and i do all the bonsi for sale. Sometimes teach a few classes in the winter.This is one of my mine. Pinus sPinus strobus bonsitrobus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here