Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keefesn1

How do I transplant this

keefesn1
9 years ago

A buddy of mine knows nothing of plants and ripped everything out of his yard. I caught him before he could put the axe to this. I have to transplant it to a different spot for him or it will get the axe too. Help on successfully accomplishing this?

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see link

go about 3 times on every dimension...

and dont do it in july or august ... lol ...

frankly.. odds of success are slim.. this time of year.. on that size plant.. in your zone ...

it would be a lot less work to gift him a $50 mail replacement ... lol

and working next to the cement sidewalk is going to destroy half the root mass ... too close to the plant...

i would also recommend he trickle water it for a day or two .. in advance.. to insure that the plant.. and the soil ball are well hydrated ...

copy/paste this link for how to plant it.. after you dig it out:

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

i really dont know if i would bother with it.. supreme a specimen as it is ....

it will be great exercise.. good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

Beautiful specimen!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Dig it up, don't rip it out. Keep it wet and plant it right away. It's still small enough to have a manageable rootball.
    Good save!
    Mike

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

You know many northern nurseries do a summer harvest after growth hardens off for sale in fall.

Contact a local nursery to find out if this species is a summer or fall dig. Perhaps you don't have a choice though.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Concur it is worth moving...generally better to do such when the plant is dormant, but local experts will have the best advice.

Sara

• sam_md
    9 years ago

hi keefesn1,
    Your Hinoki is definitely worth saving and this is a feasible job. Follow the steps in this link from the prof forum. Use a spade not a "dirt" shovel. Tie up the top first, put the burlap on while still in the hole.
    It's gonna be 95ð here today, work during the cooler part of the day. Hinoki Cypress does not have alot of soft growth on it, this is definitely doable.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to hand dig a tree

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

I'm pretty much a computer idiot, so I don't know how to do links or anything, but back on April 30th, 2014 (which is on page 9 if you went back today on this forum) I answered a question under the title "Help with the option of transplanting a 6' Blue Atlas Cedar." I described how to dig up a plant like this with some pictures included.

We don't grow this kind of plant where I work, but I can tell you that we dig junipers and arborvitaes to order all summer long (SE Wisconsin) without any special prep, and we will dig taxus now with a spray of anti-desiccant. I would definitely give it a shot.

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

That sidewalk just makes it more of a challenge, like when I find a big rock in the ground by the tree that I'm digging. Just dig the other 3 sides like I described, then use a flat shovel to slice between the ball and the cement.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

nursery man ... just find the old post.. and do a new reply.. saying simply:

BUMP ...

and hit send .....

and it will come back to the top of page one ...

form.. its not his plant ...

second.. he is not a professional ...

whaas ... and the pros who dig hundreds.. understand a certain percent are lost ... maybe because a sidewalk is in the middle of their field.. and they have to dig 8 to 12 inches from the trunk ....

to OP... GO FOR IT .. NOTHING TO LOSE.. but some excersize ... and some time shared with a friend ...

would i do it at 55.. fat.. and not so happy.. naw .... lol ...

the only real key.. is aftercare.. and proper watering ... see link .. dig new hole first ... move fast.. once you cut off.. 95% of its roots .. shade it if you can ... whatever.. its an adventure. ...

NEVER FORGET .. no one ever learned anything valuable.. by not trying ... whats to lose ...

keep us posted ...

the real key here .. from my point of view.. is EXPECTATIONS ... if you expect to help a friend.. have fun doing it.. been there.. done that ...

but if the plant fails.. buy a 12 pack of long necks.. and have a dirge.. you spent some quality time together. ..

but dont get all wound up with emotion.. thinking you killed it.. and bambi died... and your life cant go on.... dont girl up on us.. even if you are one... lol ... if it lives.. you win... and if it doesnt.. so what.. its a new spot for something new... even sara knows that rule ...

GOOD LUCK ... and get the barbie toasting .... for the after dig party ...

ken

ps: digging is easier.. if you sharpen your shovel ... slices thru everything much easier.. and introduces power tools into the equation ... or a good file ... should you not have an ultrasonic grinder handy ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks