Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Koreans don't like me...

Posted by drdna 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 18:54

Last year I purchased a 3 gal. Abies koreana Aurea, received it at the end of may and it soon started to loose its needles. I continued to take care of it, telling myself that maybe it would bounce back but it never did. The same thing happened with two Taylor's Sunburst although one took until this spring to finally die.These were a bit bigger, I think they were 5 gal specimens. This year I tried my luck again with Abies koreana Glauca, I've put it in the ground as soon as I got it(mid-may)(picture #1)and in the last week it started to do the same thing (picture #2).Of course, we had about almost two weeks of hot and humid weather, but I tought I gave it plenty of water. Those things don't look very tough for me here. Could anyone hypothesize about what happened, please?

Dan

Abies koreana Glauca and Picea omorika x kosteri Troemner
Abies koreana Glauca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Koreans don't like me...

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 20:50

How is your soil and drainage? Pines nor Fir like wet feet as they are much more finicky then Tsuga, Thuja, Picea, etc.

o

Whaas, the drainage is excellent. It's really a mystery to me because those koreana had the same pattern of death, but the one last year was potted..This year, not!Besides the two Taylor's Sunburst(One potted, one not)I never had this issue before with anything else.Oops! Not true, I remember a certain Abies concolor Wattezii who did the same thing 3 or 4 years ago. By the way, I wonder why they deleted my pictures?

Dan

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 21:41

Too much water love?

o

i dont think GW can delete your PB pix???

planting seems late.. but you are z4 ...

presuming you have a base knowledge level.. and have had much success otherwise ... so i dont know why these particular failures [though i had the same as the learning curve got better.. and frankly.. still do]

then shouldnt we look to the source of your larger specimens???

field grown...

local..

mail order

shipping to local nursery ...

etc.. etc ...

being 'evergreen' .. i swear i could .. in a normal year.. have a dead pine right now.. and it may not brown until winter desiccates it.. in early spring ...

the point being.. when you said:

koreana Aurea, received it at the end of may and it soon started to loose its needles

i dont understand what you could have done.. in a few weeks .. to make it shed needles ... it was probably dead .. when you got it????

always look to blame someone else.. it will make you feel better.. lol ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here