Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please id the pine

Posted by Glaciers-End 8WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 19:45

Just got done with a road trip through North-Central Washington and spent the last night in Winthrop (definitely Ponderosa country). These pines were growing behind the lodge we were staying. Although the location, needles and habit of the tree say it should be Pinus ponderosa, the young cones do not to me. Is this a subspecies of some sort or a different species of pine that's simply out of place?

~Dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please id the pine

Lodgepole pine?

o

definitely *not* Lodgepole Pine, Pinus contorta var. latifolia. This tree is way more massive, needles much longer and cones much larger and longer.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:11

Looks like Jeffrey pine to me.

o

Pinus jeffreyi is also one of my top choices. It's kind of out of place on the dry side of the North Cascades, wouldn't you say? Good guess, Ron. Let's see if Mr Resin checks in soon.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:36

The cones look like inmature Ponderosa cones to me. They just aren't ripe yet.
Mike

o

Hi Mike; to me they seem to be too long for immature ponderosa cones. They were 8" (20cm) long which is much larger than any Pinus ponderosa cone. Tree-wise Pinus jeffreyi is very similar to ponderosa. I just haven't seen enough wild jeffreyis to be able to make a positive id myself.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 22:25

Yeah, 8 inches is too long for a Ponderosa cone.
Mike

o

Pinus jeffreyi for me also.

It looks to be in a residential neighborhood, so it could have been brought up from California?

-Sam

o

Definitely Pinus jeffreyi

Resin

o

thanks for the confirmation! The question that bears asking now is how these (relatively) old trees got so far from home. Sam, they're not in a neighborhood, but seemingly planted on the grounds of the Sun Mountain Lodge in Winthrop many years ago. Personally, I'm happy to see that they're so happy so far from their native range.

~Dave

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 0:27

There are numbers of planted examples in WA, I see the species all the time. In Seattle it is known over 93' tall, at least a few locations elsewhere in the state have even taller ones.

Jeffrey Pine is common here, and resembles Ponderosa Pine, but is darker in all respects, denser, stouter, with larger cones and needles

--A.L. Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here