Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Pinus edulis in MI

its supposed to be z5 ...

why have i never seen one ... hidden lakes.. gees.. etc ???? .... not that i personally recall every plant i have seen either place ....

why is it such a mystery to me???

somethings nagging at me.. that its not for my z5 ... why???

ken

ps: its all about me.. more than the pine ... lol ...

Comments (20)

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

It's a species that dislikes a combination of heat and humidity.

• sluice
    10 years ago

There are at least two at Morton arboretum, which is not too far from MI. They look better than I would have expected. Nothing like the scent of pinyon pine.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dislikes a combination of heat and humidity.

==>>> so one of those high elevation .... semi arid type plants???

ken

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

Pinyons along with junipers occur at lower elevations than.. let's say.. ponderosa pine... but I believe always over 4,000 ft... so elevation is relative... It would be high for you Ken, but low for us. In their habitat, day temperatures may reach 100F, but night temperatures always below 75F.. March-June (growing season) is bone dry....

Original Author
    10 years ago

exactly.. at 500 feet elev .. i aint high..

and though i have the 100 degree days.. sometimes.. night is higher than 75 and VERY HUMID when it stays such ....

i am analogizing it to the difference between my 5 .. and daves Kansas city z5 ... and he said its night temps/humidity on the mississippi basin ... that means he can NOT grow things i can in my z5 ...

so in my own head.. i will think mountains.. when i see edilus ...

ken

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

You're right Ken, they grow in the mountais as most pinyon species.
    If I remember correctly, you have pure sand at your location... It should be worth the try.... Places that I'm 100% sure it would dislike are around the Mexican gulf coast line...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Absolutely Ken- worth a try. Give it afternoon shade. Consider it like your Abies procera or procera(s). You're getting away with murder up there with that sand. Dangnabbit for the rest of us.

Dax

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Absolutely Ken- worth a try. Give it afternoon shade"

Yep, definitely give it a try, but absolutely total full sun dawn to dusk for a compulsory must, no shade at all. Also maximum drainage and exposure to wind to avoid stagnant air.

Resin

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Ken, I've had good luck with some of the smaller cultivars of Pinus edulis in full sun and well draining soil. I have 'Farmy', 'Trinidad' and 'Tiny Pout'. Our climates are similar so I'd give them a try if you are so inclined. Here's a pic of 'Farmy' from today.

Dan

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dan, that's a very nice 'Farmy' you're showing us.
    Can you also show us a pic of your 'Trinidad' and 'Tiny Poud'?
    Thanks in advance!

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Now I know.

Dax

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Per your request Edwin, Pinus edulis 'Trinidad'

Dan

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

... and Pinus edulis 'Tiny Pout'

Dan

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Thanks again Dan for those very nice pics!
    Which nursery is growing all these cultivars?

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

I got mine from High Country Gardens which specializes in xeric plants. They usually have conifers in their Fall catalog and they tend to sell out quickly. Also you may want to check out the link I provided. They are in Colorado and have descriptions and availability of some rarer Jerry Morris brooms including the edulis brooms mentioned above.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Laporte Avenue Nursery

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

What resin said above. Maximize its native conditions -- full sun, air, and drainage -- even plant on a sandy, elevated berm.

Another to try is Bristlecone pine (Musserforest has them). Perhaps 5-needlers (soft pines) aren't so needlecast-prone as hard pines. Limber & southwestern white pines grow fine here.

This post was edited by beng on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 11:39

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dan, thanks for their website link as well.
    They sure have a very nice conifer assortment!

Original Author
    10 years ago

someone.. who shall remain unnamed.. unless she fesses up .. gifted me with Pinus edulis 'Trinidad' and an aristata .... whats that all about ....???

i am overwhelmed ....

anyway ....

i think dax suggested shade for afternoon heat considerations..

while resin suggests blistering full sun .... for the species i presume ....

and i note somewhere.. that bone dry during the growing season is good.. but what do i do with a recent transplant...??? .. bone dry but watered deeply????

does dan treat his any different in his garden bed ...

one thing for sure.. in my sand.. it wont be standing in water ... unless i leave the hose on all summer ...

any further thoughts???

i will be scouting the yard for a few days ...

ken

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Ken, I have all three in full sun. 'Trinidad' and 'Farmy' are in South facing raised bed with well draining soil.

Dan

• kmanzfive laknee
    10 years ago

I am growing 'Farmy' and 'Tiny Pout' here in NH. I am a zone 5 on the edge of zone 6. I have had them in the ground for 5 years and all seems fine.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!