Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

Another one bites the dust? Boulevard cypress....

lindsroc
10 years ago

You will notice the thuja smaragd graveyard in the background of at least one of the pics below. Those were the 1st to die, and we knew it was about a 5% chance of them actually surviving so it didn't come as a shock.
Well now, our boulevard cypress has a huge dead spot. Should we assume this is a goner also? Is there anything we can do to save it?
Everything else seems to be coming along fine. The baby blue spruce has grown 5 inches since may, and the false cypress has grown about 6. The thuja we planted in the bed has also grown about 5 inches which just goes to prove that they can survive just need to plant them smaller.

Back to the boulevard, any thoughts??

This post was edited by lindsroc on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 10:02

Comments (8)

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ps .... Of course we mowed the lawn right after we took the pics!

This post was edited by lindsroc on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 10:03

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is coming along nice I think.

This post was edited by lindsroc on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 10:04

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dead thujas in the background. We will be pulling those out and returning them soon.

This post was edited by lindsroc on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 10:05

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey.. been wondering about you ...

how about we hold that phone upright.. like a phone .... when we take a pic...

the boulevard... cut out the dead stuff... see what happens.. including whether you will enjoy looking at what is left ... you will probably find the interior all clogged up with dead needles.. and interior air circulation was probably a variable ... if you have a warranty.. i would exercise it in fall ... august is not planting time ... and we do NOT favor stock that has been sitting around bigboxstore all summer ...

i havent had enough coffee to stare at the upside down ones this morning.... so no other comments.. other than yes.... the pungens looks fat and happy ...

ARE YOU STILL HAPPY ABOUT THE RESULT OF YOUR PROJECT??? .. carp on the caps ... little finger twitchy .. lol ...

ken

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok they look correct to me... Maybe because I uploaded them from my iPad? I will try to fix them after I have had some coffee. Lol. Will try cutting out that dead part today. I am very happy with the project! Will replant the area on the side where the dead thujas are in the fall. Other than that I think we just need some color and shape. Any suggestions?

10 years ago

not with those pics ...

how about an overview pic from the street .... and the amount of sun on the spots you want filled ...

the pic thing has something to do with how you orient you ipad.. and whether it is set.. internally for portrait or landscape pix ... those 2 variables.. argue with the GW pix system ...

didnt you use PBucket.. or some such before??? .. i dont seem to think you had to keep replying to your own post.. to add pix????

of what significance.. are the ones that died... perhaps the largest potted plants you bought??? any recollection of how pot bound a 6 foot arb was... i think i see them flying in the sky in the stop sign pic..... did you do any root surgery.. etc... defining the death.. includes IDing all the variables..... and i do recall.. some of your stuff came from bigboxstore ... which sometimes means.. lower quality .... that is... if you care to wonder why they died...

my best guess.. with no facts.. was improper DEEP watering thru the whole mangled root system they had....

much diagnosis can be made.. when you pull them from the earth ... ... was there any new root growth??? .. if not.. they were dead when you planted them.. and just stayed green... until the heat of summer hit... is the bottom of the old root ball bone dry ... etc ...

we.. meaning you.. can improve watering.. if that was the issue... but you cant do anything about bad stock in the first place... except not buy plants thats roots go round and round the pot... yes.. i pull plants out of pots.. and check.. before i buy them ... knowledge is power ...

ken

• botann
    10 years ago

I pull plants out of the pots also. I learned the hard way.
    I think Ken is right, the plants aren't getting enough water to the rootball. Go slow and easy when watering. Take your time. Enjoy!
    Mike

10 years ago

cut the dead part out.. and observe until next spring ...

who the heck knows what will happen .... or whether you will like what it looks like after you make the cut ...

did you mess with the pix.. today.. they are all upright.... mind bending ....

refresh my memory.. why you suspected the arbs would fail ...

i would NOT buy another boulevard ... they have longer term issues also.. like snowload.. and getting really freakin ugly .. lol ... you know.. cute babe.. ugly teenager.. man o live.. will you just kill that old man.. his face makes my teeth hurt.. lol ... ok.. i dont know where that came from....

you are going to have to stay away from lawn fert with weed control.. etc.. go buy a bag of generic cubed.. 19-19-19.. or 16 cubed .. whatever. .and put it on the first couple weeks of sept.. fall is root growing time.. for next spring ..... no high nitro ... and dont use that anyway.. in case you get some on the plants .... if you grow the grass well enough.. most weeds will be unable to compete ....

i will take all the credit.. we did good ... lol ....

ken

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH