Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman_neutics

Bungeana trauma

herman_neutics
16 years ago

Pinus Bungeana took a stiff blow from a postal truck yesterday. Swerving in at a steep angle to avoid a parked car the truck wacked the multiple trunked bungeana. It completely detached a co-trunk leaving a gaping bowl shaped gash in the trunk. It is at ground level. Can someone advise what is the best practice with this type of injury. Tree is about 10 yrs old, the broken branch about 7 ft tall. the damged area is about 3"w x 4"l x 1.5" deep

Comments (12)

• conifers
    16 years ago

Well you have more than one trunk still. Saw off the damaged. Waiting till winter when insects aren't around would be best.

Dax

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dax,
    There is a pic here:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29128

Would a fungicide help at all?

• conifers
    16 years ago

Looks like major trauma and that point on the tree will always be weak. I don't know the answer except that it will probably heal (you lost 1/3 or more of the outside bark shell - so I doubt it will kill the tree offset), however it may be prone to falling over when it becomes larger.

Wait for another opinion before you take my word.

Dax

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Doesn't look good to me, that third pic shows the bark torn off for most of the trunk's circumference. I fear you may need to get it replaced. Can you get compensation from the truck driver?

Resin

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for replies. It was a USPS truck. I think that they would have a valid point in saying that the tree is very close to the mail box. I consider it my responsibility because of the placement. I have a bungeana Silver Ghost that would be a great replacement (with better placement) but this one was just getting some character and it absolutely thrives there. It would be a considerable loss. Any suggestions on giving it the best chance to survive?

Thanks again, appreciate your expertise.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

trees heal themselves.. EVERYTHING you think up is contrary to nature ...

we never recommend chemicals unless a specific use is noted .. ergo .. just because you have it.. don't go spraying it willy nilly ....

if i had a replacement .... and i was sure that this really is a proper location [i don't understand why you want to plant another treasure back by the mailbox]... i would dig out the injured.. and then dig out the new one.. trade holes ... nurse the sick one back out of site.. and get the new one going in its new hole ... i would do this at proper planting time.. and that is not August anywhere in the northern hemisphere ....

good luck

ken

• bengz6westmd
    16 years ago

Herman, that's a very nice pine, even damaged. Certainly worth effort to preserve. You could hammer a hvy steel post (at least 4-5' tall) between it & the parking lot to discourage further transgressions. Or one of those parking-lot concrete ties, anchored in the ground? It could be transplanted but the necessary rootball will be large & might require several people.

Anything loose & flapping should be trimmed off. Think of ways to keep this "wound" as dry as possible -- exposed to wind/sun & free of debris. Keep all debris away from the surrounding base too, since the wound is so low. Might even dig alittle soil away from directly underneath the wound to increase the distance from the moist ground. Keep any loose, dead stuff trimmed away to prevent moisture trappings/crevices which are attractive to insects.

Spruceman advocates the fungicide copper sulphate to apply to open wounds after they've dried out several months. This is prb'ly worthwhile & won't harm anything if used according to directions. I haven't tried this yet on a wound, but I plan to.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So glad to have these suggestions. For now my plan is to keep the wound dry and observe. This plant, though 8-10 years old, spent about half the time containerized and root pruned. After one growing season in the ground it took off, sometimes putting out 3 flushes in a year. I fed this plant each fall with hollytone and gave supplemental water here and there. It's always been robust, perhaps it will pull through and continue to flourish.

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a current photo that shows the tree in very good health.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

It's good to see that it recovered very well!
    It even started to show some flakes :0)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Bungeana's are beautiful. I'm happy for its recovery, though kind of surprised it healed itself so well.

Dax

• herman_neutics
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind messages. It is a great plant. The bark is very beautiful especially when it peels away and reveals lovely patterns.