Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mucknmire

Mugo pine disease

mucknmire
18 years ago

Two of our mugo pines have needles that are yellowing and turning brown. I'm afraid that I've lost the two plants already. I notice what seems to be white fungal growth on all the needles about 1/2 inch from the attachment to the branch. Is this what killed the pines or just an opportunistic fungus attacking an already compromised plant? Does anyone have any idea what might have killed the pine in the first place if not the fungus? There are no signs of worms or other predation. I don't want to lose any more pine that we have in the yard. Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)

• greenones
    17 years ago

I have two mature trees, one is losing needles first turning yellowish then brown and then falling off.The problem is migrating from the center of the tree out towards the tips.I have noticed white deposits on the needles but nowhere near as severe as saccharum's photo of wooly pine scale.Where the tree was once dense the center is now open with bare branches.The other tree looks OK although I noticed a few small white deposits on this too. Any ideas for cause and treatment

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

First of all thanks to sacchrum for the info and photo. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I believe one or two of our mugo pines may have had the wooly pine scale. Two or three succumbed to the disease and died despite my spraying with insecticidal soap.

greenones, all of the mugo seem to have small white deposits but I think it is resin that the tree produces. I'm sorry I don't have any solution to your problem. Could it be that they need to be watered? We had a very dry August and the douglas firs were getting very stressed with branch tips browing.

• greenones
    17 years ago

mucknmire
    Thanks for your comments. I have two Mugo's one on each side of the path, the other one looks OK. Yes there have been dry spells but it should affect both.
    I have several other species of pine and am aware that some don't do well and that's not always apparent until they get large, I had to cut down a row of Douglas Fir that all failed at 40 feet high. I have Norway Spruce in the yard now to replace the Fir and I also have some mature specimens which are no trouble.
    The Mugo's are a dilemma I've done systemic treatment and spray, so I will just have to wait and see.

• kendal
    17 years ago

What do you use to kill the insects? My yound mugo pine is infected. At first I thought it was spider mites, but the white stuff was a lot harder then the cotton stuff spider mites use. Since my pine is still small I have been scraping the white off and smashing it. I've also useddish soap and a little cooking oil to hopefully smoother then, so I'll see if it did any good. Any other advice? Thanks!

K

• mucknmire
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kendal the mugos died. I spotted the diseased pines too late as they were already turning brown. I sprayed it with insecticidal soap but was too late. Good luck with your plants.

• lc123b_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have two Mugo Pines that are turning brown. This started in the middle of the pines, but, now one of the pines are showing a complete browning of the surrounding crown...Help!!

• woodinvirginia
    11 years ago

Bonide Tree and Shrub with 1,47 % Imadicloprid same chemical composition as MERIT (by Bayer) but cheaper in cost. Available at Amazon. Must put on trees BEFORE beetles get aggressive. it is Systemic and application lasts 1 year if you follow directions and make divots in soil to apply directly too roots. Foliar applications probably will not kil borers ; although it may kill scale insects.