Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaro_in_montreal

Metallicus pinus var. celltowerabscondium

jaro_in_montreal
16 years ago

Check out Figure 24 of the research paper, in pdf format, linked below.

"Metallicus pinus var. celltowerabscondium (holotype), fufilling a hiding role in metro Detroit."

Here is a link that might be useful: Artificae Plantae: The taxonomy, ecology, and ethnobotany of the Simulacraceae

Comments (13)

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a few more photos.... (I didn't realise how widespread these are becoming ! )

{{gwi:779141}}

{{gwi:779143}}

See also link below, for more....

Here is a link that might be useful: Disguised Cell Towers

• conifers
    16 years ago

My first impression was dumb or ugly. After reading they are used for cell phone towers, I wasn't swayed one way or another. My second impression was that they could be cool for a tall birdhouse like the one that is entirely metallic. Then I got to thinking what the world would look like if these were used for telephone poles and made from recycled products.

Now I don't know if I like them again or not. It might be like having a giant windmill in your yard or your neighbors yard - a sore thumb effect. I might consider it if the money was right. Then again, I don't like "junk" sitting around, especially in a landscape. No offense to you junk-lovers out there. hahahhehheheh

Dax

• tcharles26
    16 years ago

hideous

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Thing that strikes me, is that the cellphone companies have got far too much money to waste on fripperies like this . . . I'd rather they cut the cost of using the things a bit!

Resin

• torreya-2006
    16 years ago

We have some of those fake trees here in Britain I wonder
    how strong they are?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Well, I haven't seen one yet in real life but my thought is that it's got to be better than the plain cell towers. They also must do quite a number on the jaws of sawfly larva ;-)

tj

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"We have some of those fake trees here in Britain I wonder how strong they are?"

Hi Torreya,

There's one just east of Haltwhistle in Northumbs; it's been there a couple of years and hasn't blown down yet. Must admit I've wondered about their stability too - all that designer foliage must catch the wind very well, and they don't have a very wide-spreading root system.

Resin

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Must admit I've wondered about their stability too - all that designer foliage must catch the wind very well, and they don't have a very wide-spreading root system."

Hopefully, the designers take into account the extra wind load from that designer foliage (somewhat like windmill blades on a high tower).
    But accidents do happen....

• conifers
    16 years ago

KaSlam!

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Very poor rooting on that specimen!

• pineresin
    16 years ago

On closer inspection, it's a clear example of the roots being unable to grow outside the area of amended soil.

I'd guess that internal examination of the rootball will also reveal a wire cage that hasn't rusted away.

• conifers
    16 years ago

I think ticks or mites or possibly green-eyed "skeeters" may have had their place in this loss of habitat as well, heck, maybe even a representation of thick hail-like droppings of giant-sized organic debree from the universe.

Remember folks, there's a mountain in Africa for everyone to travel to because of the polar shift that will occur on my birthday, December 21, the winter solstice of the year 2012...

Do not be frightened, swindled, or fooled.

Dax

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

I just found this discussion as a link from UBC,I've not seen any yet but I reckon,if done properly,they'd be much better than those ugly poles and scaffolding they use-and birds might nest in them!