Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Five years of Pinus parviflora 'Tanima-no-yuki

Summer's brought out the best colors in this cultivar, white tops with pink mixed in. As you can see, it's grown a LOT slower than it's neighbors but it does enjoy some evening shade and looks pretty happy in this spot(2-4 hours of direct sun). Looks to be growing a few inches a year(3-5 cm).

Original source for this specimen, like many many great plants in my garden was Bob Fincham, Coenosium Gardens.

Comments (10)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Nice post on a special if somewhat demanding little pine.
    Whats more I believe you've got the dashes in the right places on the nomenclature.Thanks Will!Doug

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

another that must favor the PNW ....

i swear mine has looked like your 2011 pic for the last 5 years ...

also one... that all the white burns off here in the midwest by august .... one that i might say.. has its prime season ... and the rest of the year when its just a small green pine ....

thx for the pix

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Nice shots Will. I must say, mine was like Ken's. Did nothing for 4-5 years other than in its last year it became tasty to the rabbits and its now gone.

tj

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Nice as always, Will! I like that you are letting it grow with a leader rather than being the bushy plant we usually find in a nursery. I've seen photos of some magnificent upright 'Tanima-no-yuki'.

And I must disagree with Ken: even with the white needles burned the slightly curly foliage is a delight, and mine still retains a bit of variegation in the older needles.

Barbara

Is anyone else suddenly getting spell check as they type or is it just my computer?

• brentm
    10 years ago

This is definitely not a PNW vs Midwest vs East Coast thing... it's all about the health of the graft, and getting it established in partial shade (afternoon shade is best).

The nicest ones I have seen are in the midwest - Girard Nursery, as well as one of the gardens featured on the 2012 ACS national in MI have the largest and best. The old Mitsch Nursery had a 40-year old one, and maybe due to climate or to annual propagation, it was only 4' tall.

Like many variegated parviflora, the understock should be kept on for a few years until the plant is performing well on its own.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

In shade from 1 PM on.

Dave

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did a leader ever form Dave? Nice looking colors!

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Not a sign of any leader but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

It is well established and been in one spot for 8 years. It is tucked under the canopy of a Acer palm.

It has to be one of my favorite Pinus p. cultivars with its striking color combination.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

This is a realy beautiful conifer, one of my favorites!

Will & Dave, thanks for your very nice pics!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I really like this cultivar as well (so far!).

It struggled a bit last year but looking good this year.
    {{gwi:779635}}

I left the rootstock on Pinus parviflora 'Ogon Janome'. Color is looking good second year in.
    {{gwi:779639}}

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone