Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

tamarak tree, can I prune??

hostacats
9 years ago

Hi there, I am a fairly new owner of a tamarak tree that is a bit spindly. Is it a wise choice to prune it to make it bushier?? Can you do that?? I also don't want it to get gigantic too fast if that makes any sense.
Anybody with any ideas???
Should I post a picture of him??

Michelle

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yes post a pic ...

why is it a him?

most of us.. dont want our conifer trees.. to look like bushes ...

many have very fast growth rates... i am concerned that you want to keep it small .. as in i am wondering if its properly sited

does it have a cultivar name??? or is it straight species???

ken

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hahaha Hi ken....not sure if its a him thought it was because he wasn't co-operating! lol...just kidding
    I don't want it bushy as per say, just more full I guess is the words I should have used.
    I KNOW it was planted in the wrong area......now its to figure out what to do with it...if anything at all. I am concerned about its size yes...but will deal with it, and rearrange my yard accordingly if possible.
    It is actually not a Tamarak....I always call it that. It is a Siberian Larch

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The first picture is the front view.
    This picture is the back view

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a side view of Siberian larch

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another frontal view that shows the bare spots where it grew

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close-up look from back

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i hope you understand.. that that thing will be a telephone pole .. literally.. inside 20 years ...

all your sun gardens will be gone ...

i think i am seeing around a min if 2 feet per year growth ... and it isnt going to slow down ... ever... in fact.. it might work itself into about 4 feet per year growth ...

i am not great at the species ID ... resin is ... where is he when you need him .. lol...

if in fact it is Larix laricina ... see link for its forest potential ...

very frankly .. it the wrong tree.. for your rather small yard ...

and trying to prune it into something it isnt ... isnt going to work.. IMHO .... [though you might learn a lot about pruning in the mean time]

larix in general... are a sparse looking plant ... you arent ever going to make it look like a pine xmas tree ...

we could probably recommend a hundred better plants for your spot ...

will you consider removal??? [this is where you tell me.. you buried the placenta under it.. and couldnt fathom ever getting rid of it] ...

e.g. a much less vigorous version is pseudolarix kaempferi .... google that latin ... same fall yellow... much smaller potential .... but just as dainty as far as sparseness of branches ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh. Yes it definitely is a Larix Laricina. The tag is still there. Siberian Larch in other words. I've been doing research on this too, and that's what scared me. I should have researched it first and then shopped for the tree, but they are hard to find. That year I saw it and just bought it. I'd say he is 4-5 years old maybe.
    Unfortunately my husband and I have been discussing the removal of him already, even though I don't want too, if he takes over the whole yard it won't be nice either.
    I could for now try the pruning, but in the end it just won't matter will it??
    If you or Resin could recommend different small trees that would be great, just remember I am from Saskatchewan and in the zones of 2-3........so have to go accordingly.
    Sad to think about the removal, but I guess it will be a lesson learned on my part........

• pineresin
    9 years ago

Tamarack Larch = Larix laricina

Siberian Larch = Larix sibirica

Your tree looks in excellent health, pruning won't help it at all.

Resin

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, Resin before I do the drastic, by looking at my pictures its obvious I planted the wrong tree like Ken said. Is it too big already to try and transplant to somebody else's yard??
    AND if I leave it where it is, I can cut out more lawn for him, the only thing he will grow its branches in the walkway, so I'll eventually have to trim them there.
    It will take over most of the sunny spots........most of the flower garden.......hes a nice little tree, hard to find, and always wanted one, but I bought wrong kind!!
    Can you recommend anything to do???

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

It can be transplanted, but it is a two or three person job. How long have you had it?

tj

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi TJ, it is only about 4 maybe 5 years old. I'm thinking more on the 4 years. Its already about 8 feet high. If we cant transplant it I will just have to work with what I have, take away more lawn for the tree but he'll have to be pruned when he overtakes the walkway.
    I think we better try the transplanting thing to another yard. There would be my husband, my daughters boyfriend, my son, and even I can help and my daughter if need be.
    That's probably our best option me thinks.
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Michelle