Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartlawrence

Will branch regrow on Weeping White Pine?

Hey guys,

I bought a 6 ft tall weeping white Pine, before I planted the tree, the wind knocked it over and a 2ft long branch on the top broke off.It is somewhat noticeable.The tree is now planted. Will new branches regrow in its place?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Not exactly. Pines, as with most conifers (at least in the Pinaceae, the Pine Family), cannot produce adventious (sp?) buds to resprout a branch like you'd see on an oak or a maple.

However, depending on where and how it happened, there might be enough growth from surrounding branches and live tissue that remains on the branch to make it end up looking OK in time.

A pic would be helpful.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help.

Here are some photo's.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo of the branch that broke off.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

been there.. done that.. I WILL YELL

FORGET ABOUT IT ...

now.. it took me years to understand that.. lol ... so i am hoping you can get past years of blaming yourself ...

presuming it was properly planted.. and you maintain proper watering for two years ...

it will move on with its life.. and be fat and happy ...

one or two of the others there ... will become the next weeping leader ..

not the best pic... it looks like one or two others were previously removed ... so there is your proof ...

do understand ... this isnt a plant that has some perfect xmas tree appearance ... so it shouldnt be thought that there is some perfect form ... every one is unique ...

google images for: Pinus strobus 'Pendula' .. and see the variations on from ... did it for you.. see link ...

with some creative pruning... you can really make it unique ...

just keep it properly watered for two years.. and you should be all set ... [ask if you dont know what is proper watering ]

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.

What is proper watering and How often should I water the tree now that's it's planted?

Should I add mulch?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Yup, add mulch and cut off those stubs.
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see link for general discussion.. read it many times...

then ask us any remaining questions ...

read the part about non-draining clay.. and advise if you have that ...

mulch should also be covered there. ..

all conifers.. and all trees... like a good soaking drink ... full drainage .... and then NEAR DRYING ... before you do it DEEPLY again ... once well wetted.. thru the mass planted ... you might need only water once a week.. or once a month.. depending on the soil and ambient weather... BUT only you will figure out your soil ...

insert finger often .. to about 3 inches.. when it starts feeling dry down there ... that is close to when you will be nearing the time to water deeply again ... never mind if the surface feels moist ... or dry.. we want to figure out how it is at a bit of depth ....

over watering will kill them all ... they are not a lawn ... and lawn irrigation rarely work .. and they are not water hungry annuals and perennials ...

so go read up... and come back with more specific questions...

was it potted.. or ball and burlap???? .. that makes a difference as to how the water will be retained below ground.. a wad of potting media.. versus a clay ball ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate the help.

The tree was potted. I will add mulch. Does the Weeping White Pine have specific watering requirements?

I was reading a watering guideline from a local nursery and it said that newly planted trees should be watered every three days for 2 weeks and less after that.

Would this be the incorrect way to water newly planted trees? Would feeling if the ground is dry be the correct way? What if the temperature is warm outside?

We've been hitting a temperature of 80 almost every day. Also how long should the conifers be watered for?

Would 40 seconds be sufficient or does it depend on the size of the tree? The watering guideline said to water the tree for 30 minutes to an hour each time you water. Would this be too long? I only use a hose to water the plants.

Thanks,

Stu

This post was edited by StuartLawrence on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 22:31