Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' photo gallery

Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 21:52

This delicate cultivar is another example of touchable foliage.

Thick soft, green fern-like foliage covers the entire branchlets and turns a warm burnt orange in the fall. 'Peve Minaret' will reach 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide in 10 years if given its ideal conditions of full sun and wet soil. Zone 5-9.

Dave

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' photo gallery

My young one is just a fuzzy stick. Like one of your branches. Did you limb that one up to make room underneath?

tj

o

Dave, this one is was found as a dwarf seedling selection by Piet Vergeldt from The Netherlands.
His advise is to cut it back it's side branches heavy when the plants are getting older so a very nice dense full habit will arise.
If I were you I should do this in the beginning of next Spring...

Here is a link that might be useful: a row of 'Peve Minaret'

o

i dont like joy's picture .... why trim a Td to look like a common arb .... whats that all about ...

and what is the point of lining them out to screen the greenhouse.. if they shed all the needles ... though i guess .... in theory.. it could cool the house.. in summer.. by blocking sun .. and in winter.. heat the house by allowing it in ... who knows.. maybe there is some theory behind it all ...

i appreciate the application .. i appreciate the hard work at maintaining them....

i just think its weird ...

ken

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 9:30

I think whatever snow load or ice you normally get should be considered when pruning. You have to prune to accommodate it or you'll end up with a mess. My unpruned Bald Cypress looks so bad from heavy, wet snow caused breakage I'm considering taking it down.
Mike

o

Yep, Mike is right, you'll never forgive yourself if it's damaged by heavy snow fall.
Ken, you're also a bit right, from a distance they look in summer like a normal arb but when you're getting closer you'll see a nice dense Taxodium with a very special texture...

o

a small Taxodium distichum 'P�v� Minaret' in fall color:
Taxodium distichum 'Pévé Minaret'
Taxodium distichum 'Pévé Minaret'

-Sam

o

Do these grow well from cuttings? I think it would be a very nice plant for a trough garden. I love the texture of the foliage. Dave I appreciate you entering the hardiness zone of this plant.

o

Peve Minaret in winter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Kat, where are you located with all that snow?

o

Photos are from feb 2010!
john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here