Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White pine weevil

Posted by lifetime_treesaver PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 21:59

Looking for advice. Last week I had to remove and destroy three different terminal leaders as well as their lateral shoots on my white pines because of recent white pine weevil infestation. One of the trees in question had also been attacked two years ago but had since then nicely developed two competing terminal leaders. The two of those leaders are now both gone and I was wondering where things are headed with that tree. The third terminal leader attacked was on a totally different pine. My problem is that these trees were too tall for me to reach the cut-off area without the use of a pole saw/pruner. I wasn't able to make the cuts neatly right down to the whorl and there are 1 to 2 inch stubs remaining where the old leaders were. Is this going to cause me any future problems? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White pine weevil

Sorry to hear that the bug has got to you. Two years ago the inspector from the State Department of Agriculture (Ohio) warned me that this bug was headed our way. He described the very symptoms that you had. They attack the leader and kill it. The only way to tell for sure is to look at the wood for exit holes. Sounds like you already knew that. I'll be looking to see the responses from folks in infested areas as to how to treat. When I see the inspector again in September I'll ask him. Hopefully someone has an answer and will post it here shortly. Your post is very timely and we should all be aware of this weevil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here