Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dawn Redwood

Posted by mary31 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 22:44

The central leader of my Dawn Redwood was broken in the recent wind storm. Does anyone know if it will form a new central leader and continue to grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dawn Redwood

Hello Mary. How big is your tree and how far from the top did it break?

I have a 20 footer which has lost its top foot or so of new green growth a couple times over the last few springs and always re-established a point.

Neat tree. Might be my favorite. It is not the most common in retail outlets yet. How did you decide on a metasequoia?

o

hi mary.. welcome to GW ...

yes it will ... ignore it for a year or two ...

and then if you can get to it.. reduce to one single leader ...

if per chance its a babe.. and you can just reach up there ... you can do it sooner.. just dont break the one you want saved ... been there.. done that ... trying to do it too soon

as with all trees.. there is always tomorrow ... no need to hurry ...

and no.. feeding it.. is not going to make it all happen sooner.. its a tree ... they work on their own time frame

ken

o

The tree was about 40 feet tall. About a ten foot section from the top came out. We planted the tree in 1986. We received the tree when we joined the arbor tree club. It was only about 18 inches tall when I planted it. It is my favorite tree

o

Mary, that is neat. I wonder how many residential Dawn Redwoods existed before the advent of the internet!

I hope the best for yours. Dawes Arboretum has some gnarly not so tall specimens at least one looked to have top damage. I am not familiar with the stories behind them. At least once a horticulturalist from Dawes corrected a mis-statement I made on here so maybe they frequent the forum.

If no one else disagrees I recommend a professional get up there and make a clean angled pruning cut. In a year if no likely leader re-emerges have one staked up. Oh and you have a unique valuable tree. Use an ISA certified company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here