Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, August 1st

The dog days of Summer for much of the country is slowly becoming the beginning of Summer for the Pacific Northwest. Low 70s and 60s and grey weather has again reared it's headed and began to dominate lately but forcasts are slowly warming up and we're expecting 'heat' this weekend into the 80s. It's not all fun and games - a recent clearing of almost all abies concolor specimens from my garden was due to a constant rash of a fungus/rust related to our cool, clammy weather. I tried a few different things to combat the problem but ever-present cool/cloudy days into the future don't seem to encourage plants from dry climates.

Enough crying on my behalf, we have nothing, NOTHING, like what most of the country is trying to deal with.

On to some plants!

Pinus parviflora 'Blue Lou' (Coenosium Gardens)- Slowish growing, somewhat narrow and good color.

Picea jezoensis 'Aurea' (Stanley and Sons)

Pinus ponderosa 'Margaret' (Dragonfly Farms - Local nursery) - I've seen two spellings, I'll go with the one seen more on google.

Picea omorika 'Buttermilk Falls' (CG) A golden, weeping omorika, very rare and choice. Bob may eventually offer grafts, I cannot remember what he said last time I asked.

Closer.

Pinus parviflora 'Richard Lee' (CG) - A tiny guy, dwarfed by this coloful sedum('Fred Ives crested').

Picea orientalis 'Weeping Dwarf' (Conifer Kingdom). Slow growing, check. Weeping? Not so much but it's irregular.

Pinus flexilis 'Little Wolf' (acquired via trade)

Cedrus libani 'Home Park' (Local nursery). More and more interesting each year. Grows 3-4 inches a year.

Pinus contorta 'Frisian Gold' (CG) to me, one of the best colored, year-round plants, and it's much healthier then 'Chief Joseph'. If I had to chose one of the two, I'd take this cultivar.

Picea omorika 'Westerstede' (Conifer Kingdom) - Somewhat narrow upright, as I have read.

Cryptomeria japonica 'Knaptonensis' (Unknown Ebay source) - Brilliant white color with some burn, even in moderate shade.

Pinus parviflora 'Iseli Select' (Conifer Kingdom)

Pinus banksiana 'Chippewa' (CG) - Slow growing and curiously the needles seem to be reach a bit towards the sun.

A landscape shot, crowded with sedum pots.

Acer palmatum 'Ariadne' - A Japanese maple that shows excellent peach, gold and lemon hues throughout the growing season.

Closer.

My mystery plant of the week. Bought as Abies lasiocarpa X shastensis 'Horstmann'. I think it's Abies magnifica var. shastensis 'Horstmann', but I'm hoping for more information.

-Will

Comments (9)

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, Will, its a magnifica broom of Horstmann. Buds and needles are of magnifica.
    Zsolt

• Cher
    11 years ago

Great shots and conifers. Love the JM. Sorry to hear about the concolor problem Will.
    Cher

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, I do have the same Abies concolor problems as you, always troubles with fungus...

It should be given a nicer result if you would stake the Picea jezoensis 'Aurea' and the Picea orientalis 'Weeping Dwarf'.
    I do have the same quiestion about the "weeping" thing of the 'Weeping Dwarf', I never saw a pic of a mature tree...

Picea omorika 'Buttermilk Falls' isn't a golden weeping form, it's creamy white variegated...

Pinus flexilis 'Little Wolf' was found by Erik Bizion as a witches' broom on a 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid' which is a Pinus reflexa cultivar.
    The cultivar name he gave to this witches' broom was 'Lil Wolf', which will make it Pinus reflexa 'Lil Wolf'...

The Denver Botanical Gardens are mentioning Pinus ponderosa 'Marguerite', other spellings found are 'Margaret' and 'Margarette'.
    One thing is for sure, it's name after Rich Eyre's mother...may be someone know her personal and can ask...

Abies lasiocarpa X shastensis 'Horstmann' is wrong for sure.
    It's name given by Horstmann was
    Abies magnifica var. shastensis 'Hexenbesen'.
    But...
    Also Zsolt is wrong is this case because it doesn't have the needles and buds of an Abies magnifica, but they're from an Abies lasiocarpa because this broom is the same one as Abies lasiocarpa 'Logan Pass', probably renamed for a commercial reason...

Thanks for showing us your very nice pics!

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Great pictures. I like the Picea omorika 'Buttermilk Falls'. Is this available in Europe?
    Richard

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

Awesome plants, Will. I love them all, especial 'Richard Lee'.

Richard, 'Buttermilk Falls' is barely available in the U.S., so I doubt that it is available in Europe.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A lot of information to digest, Edwin, and I am gobbling it up now like it's ice cream on a hot Summer day. I become more and more interested in conifer cultivar's and their backround information, as well as the proper labeling and identification and you're basically the best source around for that purpose. Thank you for often gracing these posts with heaps of great information. I'll make several changes when I get home from work.

Richard, plants from the US *do* make their way over and I think some are due to take the trip this Winter. Keep an eye out and pester those in the 'know' and maybe you'll see a graft growing at your place in 3-4 years. :)

-Will

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

For some reason I'm liking that 'Lil Wolf'.

Nice photo shoot.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Hi Edwin, here is your answer (Pinus ponderosa 'Margaret') plus more information about a Picea pungens 'Margarita'.

From Rich Eyre:
    "The tree P. ponderosa Margaret is a dwarf tree probably 200-300+ years in southern Wyoming between Cheyenne and Laramie. I'd gladly take you there. This was what Jerry named it 15 years ago, he wanted to honor Mom whose legal name is Margarita which is the name on the Picea pungens I found 20 + years ago."

====

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thanks Dax, I'm glad you asked him about the right cultivar name!

Now I'm very curious how the Picea pungens 'Margarita' looks like... :0)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996