Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking source of Bosnian Pine and Blue Atlas Cedar

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:50

Looking for a cheapish source for bare root or small potted Bosnian pine (Pinus heldreichii/leucodermis) Blue atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'), pitch pine, white spruce, and white fir. Previous recommendations on this forum warned against monoculture, so I'm looking for several types. The first three are the harder ones to find. Ideally should be vaguely near Zone 6 so I don't have plants shipped when it is planting time THERE and no where near planting time here. Ideally want 20 or so.

Lots of places were mentioned in a thread on this forum before, but most seem to sell a lot of dwarf specimens and require you to log in. I'm not interested in dwarfs right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking source of Bosnian Pine and Blue Atlas Cedar

my usual recommendation is to peruse musser forests ..

i dont have much need for bulk purchases.. but i ordered from them once ..

did you ever contact your county extension office and ask if the state had annual tree sales???

remind me where you are ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by SC77 6b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 10:22

Cedrus is easy to find locally. For the others, are you looking for species or specific cultivars? If Cultivars, you can find them at any of these relatively local nurseries:

Katsura - Plymouth, MA
Weston Nurseries - MA
Broken Arrow Nurseries - CT

Weston Nurseries is expensive though. Katsura usually has larger stock. Broken Arrow has the best selection, but 2.5hr trip from MA

o

Southeast Massachusetts, Zone 6, near the coast.

Yes, I contacted my county extension office this spring. They had some pretty nice blue spruce, and Beach Plum, which I planted a bunch of in April. Also they had American Persimmon. Not a lot of the other trees I was looking for

Not really looking for bulk purchases as the industry seems to use the term...Goal is to add 10 or 20 trees, but the fact I don't live at the planting site means I can't consistently water and a certain casualty rate is to be expected. Also I don't want everything the same, which makes bulk purchases hard.

o

as a collector.. when i use the term bulk .. i mean more than one of anything .... lol ...

musser offers.. single.. multiples.. etc ...

dax has a similar contact.. basically.. what you are wanting... is species trees... rather than named cultivars .. if i understand correctly ...

and usually .. that is what grafters use as understock ...

also .... if you start using the latin names.. your searching will become easier ...

forgive me if i am repeating info.. that i posted in your other posts in the last year ...

ken

o

Another source you should consider is Western Evergreen. They have consistently sent me top quality plant material. IMO, you can't do better.

I think some of your misgivings about mail-order may be misplaced. Yes, you would have to spend a few moments signing up to get a login. On the plus side, you'll get more plant for your dollar than anywhere else. You can specify a shipping date any time you like. And, they have the plants you are looking for in small sizes, Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'. For the leucodermis, there are a number of cultivars which are by no means dwarf, to choose from. Unless there's a reason you desire a species tree, choice of a selected cultivar will result in a superior plant in most cases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Evergreen

o

Maple: My concern about the "log in" process was simply that a bunch of sites don't let me see inventory or price lists until I create an account. I got a lot of names of other nurseries by searching for other threads, but I don't know which ones carry what I'm looking for. I dislike creating lots of accounts with passwords I'll never remember.

I have no objection to mail order...it's just that when ordering things that are common I prefer mail order places from my region. I figure the trees will be more used to the local climate and less spend less time in a box en route. Removes a couple variables that can go wrong. The advantage of mail order is they won't try to sell me a bagged and burlapped tree

I have no objection to cultivars...it's just that for many of these trees there are a million cultivars, most of which seem to be dwarfs. (Serious collectors seem to love dwarfs...) It's not always clear from the catalogs which are dwarfs.

Ken: I gave the Latin names for the first couple.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here