Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth on old wood?

Posted by greatplainsturf 6/7 OK (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 0:10

Talked to a guy at the local nursery today about my spruce tree issues with the heat. It was always my impression that growth only occurs off of the previous years growth. The nursery guy said that the new growth that is dying in the heat can be removed and the branches trimmed back to green stems (2010 growth) and that new buds would form and grow next spring. Is this accurate. I have a lot of damage to new and some old growth and I am planning my next moves once this heat finally breaks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth on old wood?

assess it next year. with spruce you need a visible bud and you'd still be smart to wait.

Dax

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 21:03

I don't think that is accurate. New buds won't form on 2010 growth, only on your 2011 growth.

o

long story short, you need a bud. wait.

Dax

o

Earlier this year, I was surprised to discover buds forming on old spruce wood.

In the past few days, I've noticed them developing on some old hard pine wood as well. Don't know if this is common, or not.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 9:35

What is the answer to new growth on old wood?

Sometimes not and sometimes they will as shown above by sluice?

I've read and have been told that the golden rule on Picea and Pinus is that new buds will only develop on new wood.

Sluice, is it quite possible that those were just dormant buds that never popped on the old wood?

o

Whaas, that makes sense to me.

It might have something to do with adventitious buds. The Dave's Garden website gives two definitions:
1. Buds that develop in places other that at the end of a twig or in leaf axils. They appear when pruning or wounding stimulates their development.
2. Latent or dormant bud on a stem or root often invisible until stimulated into growth.

o

buds on so-called dead branches may also pop next year. You just never know until you wait.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here