Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Peter Pinetum

coniferjoy
11 years ago

At August 16th my father and best friend Peter Smits passed away, he was 70 years old.

He died because of a major brain haemorrhage.

Plants were a great passion for him, he worked at my nursery for many years, it's a very big loss for me that he's no longer among us.

Due my great honour to him I decided to name my Pinetum after him, since today it's the Peter Pinetum.

My father and me

Part of my Pinetum

Comments (29)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss, Edwin.

Your nursery is an excellent monument for his commemoration.

God bless you and your family.

-Sam

• Cher
    11 years ago

My condolences on your loss Edwin. That's a great photo of you two. The Pinetum photo is beautiful!
    Cher

• severnside
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear Edwin, I agree that's a great picture of you together. Peter Pinetum is a fitting tribute.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

edwin

i too lost my father last thursday night at 83 years old .. pulmonary fibrosis ...

to say i understand your loss.. is an understatement ...

i am sorry for you

ken

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

sorry for your loss, my friend. You've left your father a fitting and everlasting tribute. I hope the newly named garden serves his memory well.

~Dave

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Sorry Edwin & Ken. I feel like we're all family here.

Sincerest Regards,

Dax

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

A fitting tribute for your father Edwin.

It's not easy loosing your parents. My mother when I was very young and then my father a few years back. He too was a lover of beautiful gardens and plants. When I take note of my garden remembrances of him always crop up.

By the looks of your pinetum your cares and concerns go way beyond just making money from sales. You truly have a great love for caring for these conifers and making sure they are represented correctly.

I am sure your father will be greatly missed by you. He will still be a part of everything you do. You are an extension of him.

Regards,

Dave

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear about your father Edwin the pinetum
    is a very good idea.

• garcanad
    11 years ago

Very sorry for your loss. A pinetum of conifer treasures is indeed a fitting and timeless tribute.

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Also very sorry for your loss, Edwin.
    I lost my father in 2000 in the age of 78 and it was very hard for me to see him passing away in the hospital. Good idea with your Pinetum.

Wolfgang

• sluice
    11 years ago

That's a nice remembrance for your father.

My condolences to you Edwin, and to you Ken, and to your families.

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

Sorry for your loss.

• davidtree
    11 years ago

Sorry to here about both of your fathers..

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Edwin and Ken, I'm really sorry for your losses. Edwin your father gave his name to a beautifull and very interesting place.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Ken my condolences to you and your family for your loss also. I wondered if it was something like this when I read another post of yours last week.
    Cher

• gary2010
    11 years ago

Edwin
    I am very sorry for your loss
    I think your nameing of your garden in honor of your dad
    is a great tribute to him having seen it myself.
    I am leaving for the airport in a few minutes to see you
    and Peter Pinetum again.
    Gary

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

My condolences and best wishes go out to you Edwin and Ken. I'm so sorry to hear of your respective losses.

Alex

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

My prayers to you and your family on your loss.

tj

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Ken, my condolences also to you.

Wolfgang

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

That should have read, "My prayers to you and your families for your losses."

tj

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Devastating news. My heart goes out to both of you.

Barb

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Edwin and Ken, I join all the others with my deepest sympathy on the passing of your dads.
    Peace and comfort ~ AL

• kmanzfive laknee
    11 years ago

Sorry for your loss. What a wonderful gesture in honor of your dad. May God be with you.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

So sorry for you both, and Edwin that is a fitting tribute. My mother died last year and it is because of her that I made my first garden over 45 years ago and never stopped gardening. I buried her ashes in my garden and feel that she is with me when I am out there. Losing one's parents when we are adults is harder than one would think. My sympathy to you both.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for both your losses. It's never easy to lose a best friend, whether he is your dad or not.
    When they are both the same person, it's double the emptiness.
    Gardening has a special way of healing broken hearts.
    sending you both gentle thoughts at this difficult time in life.

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

Edwin and Ken,
    I join the others in sending prayers for your comfort. Loss of a father leaves a huge hole in the heart. A memorial garden is a perfect idea. It will be rich with memories and love.
    Ellen

• ricksample
    11 years ago

My condolences to both Edwin & Ken... Sorry for your losses. Edwin, what a wonderful thing to do with your pinetum. My prayers to you both

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

I believe that your Father is sitting on a cloud, and will help your future steps spiritually in your life. Farewell.
    Zsolt

• botann
    11 years ago

My condolences to you Edwin and Ken. So sad to lose a father. Life is viewed a bit different for you now. I lost my father several years ago.

Edwin, I see your father was helping you remove a competing leader from a Cryptomeria j., 'Sekkan'. I have had the same problem with one of mine.
    Mike

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH