Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small pinaceae cultivars

Posted by liopleurodon Belgium (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 6:02

Hi,
There is an approx. 3x15 meters (10x50 feet) spot next to our house which is/was covered with bamboo. I'm currently getting rid of all the bamboo and I'm allowed to do with those 45 square meters whatever I want. As you can imagine I'd really like to plant some conifers there.
Due to the proximity to our house and the fence I (sadly) cannot plant some real "forest" species there.
Are there any cultivars of undermentioned species which look very much like their natural, forest species, except grow smaller? I don't want the trees to get higher than about 6 meters (20 feet).

I'd really like to have a:
- Tsuga (preferably something like a Tsuga Heterophylla)
- Picea Pungens
- Picea Abies
- Picea Sitchensis
- Picea Omorika
- Larix Decidua
- Any other suggestions?

Are there any cultivars of those available which would suit my needs? (No strange shapes, not weeping etc; just like the real species but smaller?)
Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small pinaceae cultivars

Liop, I think it's better for you that you pay a visit to my nursery, I guess that I can help you out with all the items you're looking for.
My nursery is in the south of The Netherlands, right between Eindhoven and Nijmegen.

o

welcome..

yes.. you need to see some 'cultivar' alternatives .. in person ... i doubt you will find any species in your size range ...

the key for you.. is the annual growth rate.. see link ... its all about.. how big it is when you get it.. and how fast it will exceed your space ...

if you were to limit yourself to mini's .... it will take many.. many years.. to outgrow your area ...

and finally ... i would prefer you get some things that make your toes tingle [wonder how that translates..lol] ... and get rid of them in 5 or 10 years.. rather than select a bunch of stuff that 'fits' .... a few prime specimen for sure ...

pix below.. to how many you could get into a very small space ...

good luck

ken
the area on the left is about 6 feet wide ... the far side.. about 3 ...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you for your replies and the invitation.

I'm currently having resits/re-examinations or whatever it is called in English and removing the bamboo is a massive job.
Is it ok that I'll send you an email (at info@edwinsmitsconifers.com) once I've finished both (I hope it won't take too long, but the removal of the rhyzomes of the bamboo is a hell of a job, especially since we have so much of it)?

@Ken, thank you for the link. I didn't know the growth rate differed that much between different cultivars. I first wanted to put "normal" species there; but was quite astonished by the 15cm / 0.5ft growth of my small Norway Spruce in the back of the garden (where it may grow taller of course) which is now 60cm / 2ft high.

o

Always possible to visit my collection for some idea,
10 km south of CHARLEROI (Belgium)
http://myspace.voo.be/a_pinetum/
Clement

o

Liop, of coarse it's ok with me that you send me an email when you're done with your jobs.
Good luck with removing the bamboos!
In the meanwhile you can always visit my website which does have the same name as my email address.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here