Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to grow a dawn redwood?

Posted by BoskoSLO none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 6:15

Hi people!

It's been 3 months or even more since I sowed the dawn redwood seeds in 3 different ways as recommended by professional people...
And they still didn't germinate. They even didn't get swollen " a sign of germination". The giant sequoia seeds in other hand did germinate and they currently in bad condition as I accidentally left 4 sequoia seedling in one small pot and as I transplanted each one I disturbed the roots too much. If they don't make it, I will try again next year with more knowledge :).

Anyway, back to my topic: It's almost mid august here in Slovenia "middle europe" and I wonder if it's still worth to buy and germinate complete new set of dawn redwood seeds. If not I can retry next year anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to grow a dawn redwood?

I would wait until late winter myself.

FWIW, I tried a lot of ebay seeds with very limited luck a few years back. Then this last year my Ogon had some cones. No seeds germinated for me.

I did have good luck with so e seeds from FW Schumacher. They listed germination rates and were close to right even with my limited skills. I am not sure if they are in business still or if they ship to Europe.

its a neat project. Good luck.

o

If any sprouted now, they probably would not harden off in time for winter. Mine sprouted in April, and are about a foot (30cm) tall on average, and just now showing signs of hardening off and getting woody stems.

I second the Schumacher seeds. That's what I used, too. Definitely still in business!! I think they can ship international.

The Metasequoia seeds, I think they are collected in China, from native stands where there is more genetic diversity and better cross pollination, and the 80% cut is sorted for viability somehow, probably by a weight or cut test of some sort.

Here is one of mine. Had some leaf burn from herbicide drift from the neighbor, but has mostly recovered.

Here is a link that might be useful: F. W. Schumacher Company

o

I had very good germination rates with the metasequoia seeds from treeseeds.com. They always give you a lot more seeds than you order as well. When I ordered 100 norway spruce seeds I received over 200!

o

I'm in Z8 Texas and planted Bald Cypress seed in late September and they did not survive the winter. As these trees are similar I would also predict failure of your seedlings to harden off sufficiently to survive winter. Best to wait.

o

So the redwood seedling can survive winter only if their stem is wooden or can they survive even smaller? Because my giant sequoia seedling are no more taller than 4inch and their stem is ~ 0.07inch wide.

And i will order a pack of dawn redwood seeds later this year and cold stratify them until february.
I may sound as a beginner "because I'm one :)" but I'm interested in this kind of hobby and getting info from you guys, it helps a lot.

o

I would think for the easiest time you should keep them on a normal cycle. I'm sure you could do something like start them now and bring them inside the garage every night until they go dormant in December then let them out of dormancy a few weeks late if you can.

Just seems like trouble though and like you'll have a lower success rate.

o

Here is what I mean by just getting a woody stem...this is one of mine yesterday. Not all the way woody, but starting.

o

Here is my biggest giant sequoia seedling. It's my first attempt thou and I may not give it the best environment to grow and that's why it's so small. It sprouted in early/middle may and it looks healthy so far. I guess this seedling doesn't have any chance to survive the winter? I will for sure try again next year.

o

I wouldn't throw them out by any means. Just pay attention to the frosts if things look tender. May isn't August so its not real far off schedule.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here