Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

False Picea jezoensis 'Yatsubusa'

coniferjoy
14 years ago

Several years ago Henk and I bought a Picea jezoensis 'Yatsubusa' from Kenwith Nursery, U.K.

Then we were as it seems now real "tag collectors" because we didn't see that this one have nothing to do Picea jezoensis.

Clément did open my eyes when he told me that it probably a Picea abies cultivar.

It looks a bit like Picea abies 'Little Gem' but it grows much slower.

I hope someone can tell me which cultivar it is, Maybe Stephen can as he is very close to Gordon ;0)

False Picea jezoensis 'Yatsubusa'

I found a photo of the true 'Yatsubusa' at the Iseli website.

The quiestion now is for our expert Clément of this one is a Picea jezoensis- or a Picea glehnii cultivar.

Picea jezoensis 'Yatsubusa'

Comments (16)

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Edwin,
    Wouldn't be the first time for Haddow to get his plants mixed up, I also had a few from him over the years which turned out to be incorrectly labeled. The plant in your photo certainly looks Picea abies.
    Also,I'm as far away from Kenwith as I need to be :0)

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Yes, no doubts, it's well a picea jesoensis.

Clément

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just take a look in the catalogue of Kenwith Nursery from that time and came across the following Picea abies cultivars which could be the one from the first photo.

'Clanbrassililiana': Not possible because this one do have dark green needles.

'Diffusa': Not possible because of differend growing habit.

'Fahndrig': Possible.
    Gordon's Discription:
    A low spreading shaped plant that looks like a miniature version of 'Little Gem'. Attactive and grows very slowly.

Mariae Orffiae: Not possible, does have another growing habit.

My conclusion now is that Gordon sold me a Picea abies 'Fahndrig' (aka 'Anthon Fahndrig') from a rooted cutting which will grow much slower then when it was grafted.
    Stephen do you agree with this?

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Edwin, not so easy to tell from your photo, your plant looks a little loose to me, Also I have it listed as Picea abies 'Fahndrich' the foliage is similar to 'Little Gem' but seems to be a bit slower and tighter.
    My plant is about 13 years old, and on its own roots

Pioea abies 'Fahndrich'
    {{gwi:783940}}

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Edwin,
    Did you get any wiser after you saw these photos ? :0)

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stephen and Clément,
    Thanks for your comments and photo.

I think it's the 'Fandrich' with "ch" ;0)
    The plant from my photo was burned very badly last year and the year before, that's why there's a big hole in it.

The plant grows about 2 cm per year, which is slower then the 'Little Gem' which grows about 3 cm per year.
    I do have another 'Fahndrich' in my Pinetum at the other side of it in the Picea abies cultivar corner and it looks very simular.

For sure is now that the plant I bought from your friend is not the true form, please tell him this the next time you visit his nursery ;0)

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

The next time I visit Kenwith ...
    Edwin, there's more chance of you growing perennials :0)

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:0) hahaha ;0)

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Someone know the difference between Picea jezoensis"Yatsubusa" and Picea jezoensis "Howell's Dwarf" ??
    Clement

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

I have a Picea glehnii 'Yatsubusa'. Is this possibly a mix up again?

-Will

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

He look Picea glehnii but a close up of foliage are interesting.
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will, your specimen does have 2 differend needle colours, which should be typical for Picea jezoensis...
    The specimen at your pic is quite simular to the one I posted at the beginning of this topic.

• alpestris
    10 years ago

What about?

Picea jezoensis 'chitosemaru' - it was listed under this name on a hand written tag moments after being dug up.
    Or is it?
    Picea jezoensis 'chitose maru'
    Or is it?
    Picea glehnii 'chitose maru'

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's Picea glehnii ''Chitosemaru'...

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Yes, Picea glehnii, look the colour of the twigs, brown.
    It's typical for identify Picea glehnii easily.
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The false one like I've is also pictured in the new books of Auders & Spicer.
    This is as wrong as can be, because there's a big chance that collectors are gonna to order the wrong one because of that picture...

Will, can you show us a detail pic of your 'Yatsubusa'?
    Especialy the two coloured parts.
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years